free website stats program H-D worth more than a Metric? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

H-D worth more than a Metric?

I have owned two metrics. They are indeed fine bikes. Well made and ride well. Why did I buy a Harley? Someone said it better that I: "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand".

Rice burners may be reliable but they are not the same product. The only bike that can look like a Harley, smell like a Harley and taste like a Harley, is a Harley.

I love mine. Looked at a Victory recently. Close up was real disappointing - not the same as a Harley.

Was considering a Suzuki M1500 - new at £9000. In the Autotrader I could buy an ex demo at 3 months old for £6700! Told the dealer and he offered me the same new bike for £8500 just like that. Now my Street bob will only loose £1500 on the sales floor in 3 years.

There's a guy I work with from time to time that I only tolerate out of professional courtesy... Long Story. Anyway, one day we were talking about riding and what-not. He barges in... "I just don't get the whole Harley thing." I looked at him and said, "We don't want you to..."

A lot of would be riders I believe would like to buy a Harley but in their early twenty's the metrics offer good value for them. I know, I owned a 650 Kawasaki for 26 years. It was all I could afford back then. It gave me no trouble and was, in fact, the longest lived, trouble free, vehicle that I have ever owned. I outgrew it and wanted something bigger for my wife and myself. There is no comparison between my '03 Ultra and that old Kawasaki. I love the Ultra. In the winter I find myself dreaming of the bike and all the great rides that I had. Seriously! I am so looking forward to the Spring where I can once again head out on the open country roads for destinations unknown just for the fun of it. I could never do that on the 650 Kawa because my butt would be numb after about 50 miles!!
BTW, my bike is eight years old and is also trouble free and that is something as an American, that I can be proud of! It seems like the only expense it gives me is tires and gas because all I want to do is ride. :s

There's a guy I work with from time to time that I only tolerate out of professional courtesy... Long Story. Anyway, one day we were talking about riding and what-not. He barges in... "I just don't get the whole Harley thing." I looked at him and said, "We don't want you to..."

:lolrolling

I've got to remember that one!

To me it's all in what you want. I've owned several metrics & 1 Harley. They all served me well, but I must say I've got the most enjoyment and pride out of my Harley. To me it's more important that you ride, not what you ride. Maybe it might be because I'm older know but when I bought my Harley I viewed it as an investment in something that I loved knowing that no matter how many years go by that I will be able to find whatever parts I need to keep it on the road. My only reason for changing from my Heritage would be to get a SG or UC, but that will be only if I decide to change styles of bike, not because my Heritage is wore out or can't get parts for it anymore.

Good one Jim!!:tounge

Seems like every year there is a post like this or a couple times a year. Bottom line do not worry about it. When people start to talk like that I just tell them to each there own, I am happy with my bike.

Right on Bulldog!!!! :bigsmiley20::bigsmiley20::bigsmiley20:

Back