free website stats program H D Wannabees | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

H D Wannabees

I dont think thats a fair statement.
Yes I wish I had a HD back in 98, but I couldnt afford to buy a new HD for $15,000 to $ 20,000 and a used one was not an option.

So I bought a new HONDA knock off for $8,000. I cant help it if HONDA or anyone else makes them like that. I liked the look and the price range was right.

I was in the same boat when I bought my first motorcycle. I ended up with a Yamaha V-Star instead of a Road King or a Fat Boy. I liked my V-Star for what it was, but I still wanted a Harley. In hindsight, which we all know is 20/20, I shouldn't have listened to my friends and co-workers who talked me out of buying a Sportster.

IMHO, as long as there is a brand that everyone wants, there will always be knock offs. Some of the Jap bikes look suspiciously like Harleys and some don't, it will probably always be that way. If a group of guys and gals are heading out on a ride, I will probably go with them no matter what they ride. That's my 2-cents.

I was in the same boat when I bought my first motorcycle. I ended up with a Yamaha V-Star instead of a Road King or a Fat Boy. I liked my V-Star for what it was, but I still wanted a Harley. In hindsight, which we all know is 20/20, I shouldn't have listened to my friends and co-workers who talked me out of buying a Sportster.

All I can say is Harley made enough changes to their product that I bought one. The Metric riders always pitched the short comings many of us are familiar with...too much vibration, maintenance, weight and nothing for the entry rider; guess what...all this changed over the past 10 years, even more so in the last 5 years has made Harley simply a superior machine. :majesty

I was a Metric rider 2 weeks ago, after riding for over 25 years. No poser of a rider here, just a convert to a good product and deciding to use my free time more wisely, rather then things that take us away from our sport, like housing, non-riding friends (often they outnumber our riding friends), kids and grand kids, health, work, etc. which is more of a balance thing :newsmile014:

Just ride and enjoy, whatever the person rides is good, I still enjoy my steak and sushi just the same, BTW I also like pasta, beef wellington, and a little 2 stroke oil mixed with dirt please...:newsmile049:

I ride what I ride because it makes me feel good and I don't give a rat's ass if people think it's a Vespa scooter (no offence to Vespa owners :s ) ugh!!

I filled up at a service station the other night and the attendant asked if my Deuce was a 250cc Suzuki and could I go on the open road with it,,,,, ohhhh maannnn! I said "Brother? Does this sound like ANY Suzuki to you?" PO-TA-TO,, PO-TA-TO,, PO-TA-TO,,,, Hell,, ya just gotta smile eh! Some folks wouldn't know if their (EDIT) was on fire!!!

At the end of the day; people will think what they're gonna think - here's a quarter - call someone who cares.

We're all kindred spirit riders - let's just enjoy the wind and the open road - safely.

Big Al

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride a Harley because of the looks, sound and ride. It gives me a nice smooth ride but still lets me know I'm on a motorcycle. I have friends that I ride with most every week that ride V Stars, Suzuki's as well as Harley's... We invite em all Crotch Rockets what ever... Although I must say the Crotch Rockets have yet to come along. I don't think our ride is exciting enough... Anyway we all rib one another in fun from time to time but we all go home smiling...

I own several bikes, but primarly ride my HD. When I'm on my 1100 vstar, most often people think it's a Harley. Recently while on my Harley, someone ask if it was a rice burner. LOL,,,I bought the HD because it ranked high on touring bikes and most of our trips run into weeks, not for the cool image. I bought the 1100 vstar, because I know it will turn 200k before it needs an overhaul.

I'ts all about the people, not what they ride.
A person of good character is still going to be the same on an Honda or Harley.
The folks who buy into the HD "brotherhood" are the real phoneys.

I like all bikes. from the smallest to the largest. Rockets to full dressers. I don't care what others drive. If they're on a bike, they have my respect ( unless they're driving like a fool)
For me, it's Harley..the sound, the feel, the history so, I own an Ultra Classic. Had a Roadster as my first harley years and years ago ( 1983). Good friends have rocket bikes and i can appreciate them..Don't want one, but can appreciate them.
As my dad used to say " there's an 'bottom' for every seat" How boring it would be if we all drove the same bike. People's budget can dictate what they own..I bought a used ultra because I can't afford a new Ultra..It's all good. Drive what you like and enjoy.

Very well stated Tigg. When's the last time someone knocked someone else about the car they drive or the shoes they wear etc, why then must it be a topic of discussion to knock what someone else rides? I think is basically comes down to insecurity on their own part. :s

I see on other forums posts about the fingerless gloves and the "back less" chaps (another way of saying it) and wonder what type of life they must have to have to post something like that.

Luckily here we can do something about those posts :D

If they weren't backless they wouldn't be chaps would they, they would be pants.:dknow

Glider........I agree
After riding for over 45 years I can say I've heard quite a bit alone these lines starting with the 750 Honda in ’69 and shortly thereafter the 900KZ. It never gets any better in fact worse with all the new bikes on the market. I personally don't care. I drive a Chevy truck and the wife insists on a Subaru….No biggee
I still have and ride my first putt ('57 FLH) that I bought in '63 as a basket case... I still say if half the people currently riding a HD had to kick start a bike with a Zenith or Bendix carb, manually change the advance and use a police shifter they’d be riding something else, if at all???????????????

Whoa you brought back some memories there, back in the 70"s I had a 48 pan with a jockey shift, no front brake and ififie back breaks, like I have said on another thread ...back then if you weren't good with a wrench you didn't ride a Harley, don't get me wrong I love my Deluxe. Sometimes I do wish I could go back the 40 years though.:cheers

Sometimes I do wish I could go back the 40 years though.:cheers

Brother, I don't ever want to have to kick start a bike ever again. I can remember one time when Old Faithful wouldn't start, and I sat on that bike trying to kick-start it -- getting as frustrated as I was tired because it wouldn't start!

I still think it's freakin' weird that someone would yank the emblems off a metric and put HD emblems on ... if I had seen it, I probably would have posted something too! Be honest -- if you had seen a cat with pink polka dots when you were riding home, I guarantee that you would have told somebody about it ! This isn't much different. :D

Back