free website stats program H-D Take off items? | Harley Davidson Forums

H-D Take off items?

Randall K. Wilson

I was wondering what folk on our forum do with stuff you have taken off of your cycle, from when it was stock. I'm getting a couple of boxes of stuff, and wonder if it is worth trying to sell this sort of thing? Or would it be more purdent to hang on the stock items, in the spirit of long range planning?

Can you imagine all of the stock HD mufflers lying around, NOT bolted to a cycle?:)

I say post them up for sale or trade. The cash you bring in may help finance your next mod.

Down the road if you plan on trading in or selling,the bank and your H-D dealer wont pay for the extra chrome pieces so you can always take them off and put the stock parts back on.

My feeling is that any & all add-on accessories are worth more than the stock pieces being replaced by the owner. I am keeping all my stock items to put back on my bike when I decide to sell/trade it off and will sell my aftermarket items as used... Of course, all of us will have our own differing opinions on this subject. JMHO. Ride safe...

If your like me. You have packed so many things away for so long. You are no longer a packrat. You have become an arcivest!:lolrolling

Stock take off's don't usually go for a lot, add on's do get a good price usually. Craigslist is free and I try selling there first (mostly local buyers), then ebay, which costs you.
I have several stock take off's for my '07 which are not worth much. I have every stock nut and bolt that were on my '92, and I feel that after 18 yrs. may help if I ever try to sell the "old" bike which is approaching classic status (I hope). I'm gonna try zoo-mon's
term of "archivest" on the wife.

Don't have any personal experience but I have also heard many times that you should save as many stock items as possible for the day when you may want to trade in your bike. Dealer simply is going to give you pennies on the dollar for the hundreds and thousands of dollars worth of add ons on your bike. Better to return it as close as possible to stock and then see what stuff fits your new bike and then sell the rest.

One item I definitely would never sell while I owned my bike is the pipes. With the legislative environment trending the way it is, you may be putting those stock pipes back on your bike sooner/more often than you think.

When we traded in my wife's Nighster the dealer asked me if we still had the stock pipes as it would be easier for the bike to pass the State Inspection and they would include them with the bike for the next purchaser.

Back