free website stats program Guy from Mass...Needs new bike advice | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Guy from Mass...Needs new bike advice

I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and my fatboy fits me just fine. I have put about 37,000 miles on it since owning it. I do however have a Bead Rider seat pad on it that sets me up about 3/4" for the last 32,000 miles.

Here is a link to a neat little tool to see how you will fit on a bike.
Motorcycle Ergonomics

It will allow you to make changes such as pull back bars, taller seat, etc.

Randall

I have own different brands of bike and they all have good and bad points event he Victorys. Take it for a ride and if you like it buy it. None of the new bikes have problems that would cause you to regret it.
The Harley shifts entirly different than by Honda , but I like them both.

I'm 5'11" as well and ride a 2007 Road King Classic with Kuryakyn Mark IV highway pegs, Saddlemen Explorer seat, 14" apes and couldn't be anymore comfortable. With some modifications, like above, you should be just fine.
As far as finding neutral easily, it's all about keeping your clutch adjusted properly, mine slips into neutral first try every time.

Welcome to the forum JJC42. I'm going to write a fairly long post since our situations are somewhat similar in hopes that some of it is useful. I'm 64 and had not ridden in 40 years. My last bike was a 500cc Triumph. When I decided to ride again I also decided it was HD or nothing, I'm just not interested in crotch rockets, Goldwings or any other make. They're wonderful, high tech, reliable machines, but no thanks. Anyway, I found a nice 2000 Fatboy nearby, owned by a mechanic who bought it for his wife, had it lowered and then proceeded to put 3933 miles on it over the next 10 years. It also had a low, narrow Corbin seat on it for the purpose of getting her closer to the ground. I put the original seat back on and have put a few hundred miles on it in the last three months. I'm 5'9", average size. The bike still feels immensely heavy to me so I'm very careful when riding, especially taking off and coming to a stop. Otherwise the bike handles beautifully, smooth ride and great power compared to anything else I've ridden. My point is, I think you've chosen a great bike in the softtail family and will "grow" into it either by feel and experience or a couple of mods. If I'm wrong I'm sure some of the folks on the forum will comment. I'll know a bunch more when it warms up here in western NC. Some of my buds who ride have been after me to take a spin on their bikes (Road King, Electra Glide and Dyna Wideglide). I'm going to do just that when I get more experience on my Fatboy. I also have in the next months a riders course scheduled. I feel I can learn from it even though I rode a lot in my early 20s on my Yamahas, Hondas and the Triumph. The Harley is a different animal to me, but I'd buy the Fatty again without hesitation. It looks like enough people either shorter or taller than you have commented favorably so if its the ride of your dreams, go for it!
Best Regards,
Ishmael

All Hd trans 3,4,5 and 6 spd always had and have hard neturel finds ,and alot of other Motorcycle companys for that fact, as stated trans maintanence and oil upgrade due the trick , Now I have to say you are very observent when you sat on the Victory ,I have owned and ridin many motorcycles in my time and I have to say when you ride a victory motorcycle the first thing you notice is that the controls are setup perfectly the shifter and brake location (engineering) are second to none . your feet seem to be rite where you need them for brake and shift operation at all times , they are placed somewhere between mid and foward position , leaving you in extremly nice riding comfort and control over the brake and shifter. Hd should really take a look at what they have going on there.If you ever get a chance to ride one you will no what I mean,As others stated here you can set the FBL up for your comfort, everyone does this to there bike wether its a sporty or touring model,its the nature of the beast.

hey if you are looking at dropping that kinda cash on a new bike why not rent one same model as your interested in a ride it for a day see if it fits you? also i highly recommend renting a touring chassis Harley before you buy anything

Back