free website stats program Guy from Mass...Needs new bike advice | Harley Davidson Forums

Guy from Mass...Needs new bike advice

JJC42

Hello everyone,

I have been doing the new bike thing and had myself set on a Fat Boy low. I recently sat on one and felt my legs needed to stretch a bit more, I'm 5'11", so the HD sales guy was going to fit me using different handle bars seats etc. I chose this bike because I like the look of the classic cruiser. Then I heard and read about the new six speed trannys and how difficult that are to find neutral. This made me think whether i made a good decision because I don't want to be at the dealer every weekend to have them look at the tranny. So on my wat home I went to a Victory dealership just for kicks and checked them out. I found the Kingpin and it was nice but it was no HD. If anyone has a FB or FBL please let me know how tall you are so I can know whether I'm too tall for the bike. Also, should I bee concerned about the tranny issue? Please note I haven't ridden a bike in twenty years and before that it was a causal ride on a dirt bike. I have since got my lic at a riding school and I'n 42 years old. Thx!

First off, welcome to HDT. you are gonna like it here.

I cannot speak to the Fat Boy, but rather the 6 speed. Everyone here will tell you to use Spectro, Red Line heavy duty or many other synthetic fluids on the market in the transmission....Do yourself a favor....LISTEN to them! I changed mine at 1,000 miles to Red Line HD, and what a difference. Finding "N" is as easy as finding 1st gear.

For the first 1,00 miles before the change it was hit or miss, I would have to feel around a few times before finding "N". After the fluid change, it slides into "N", first time, everytime.

I have a 2009, and they had a whine in 5th gear, that also went away wih the Red Line. I believe HD fixed that issue (whinning 5th gear) in the newer 6 speeds.

Again, welcome to the forum.

The biggest problem with any component is abuse and lack of maintenance. Like all manufactured components there is a bad one now and then. As to not buying the Fat Boy do to the 6 speed trans, there should be no hesitation. Typically you only use 6th gear over 60 mph anyway. As futurerider has stated at 1000 mile service interval change trans oil and upgrade to Spectro 6 speed oil. It really makes a night and day difference on how trans operates and shifts. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!! And forget about.

Everyone's addressed the tranny issue - or should I say NON issue!

Your other question was whether you're too tall for this bike. I would think there were tons of riders taller than you on this bike with no problems. Did you ride the bike or just sit on it? Totally different experience doing each. If you're really uncomfortable due to extra long legs or whatever, you can almost always change seats, handlebars, floor boards/pegs and find a combination that you'll love.

Your other question was whether you're too tall for this bike. I would think there were tons of riders taller than you on this bike with no problems. Did you ride the bike or just sit on it? Totally different experience doing each. If you're really uncomfortable due to extra long legs or whatever, you can almost always change seats, handlebars, floor boards/pegs and find a combination that you'll love.

JJC42: Welcome!
I agree with Dr. Dolittle. Riding and sitting are two very different things. I am 6'4" and I go between my 2007 Ultra Classic and my wife's 2002 Dyna Low Rider with no problems even though they are vastly different. Will you have some issues with your height? Maybe, but I doubt it. Even if you were sitting on a supported bike in "riding position" it still can be difficult. You slide around a bit with braking and acceleration, the wind pulls you back a bit in the seat, etc.
Some things to think about:
1.) If you were comparing sitting to riding positions, where will you be spending most of your time? Riding! Being able to balace you bike at a stop or jockey around for a parking spot is important and a safety concern. But being comfortable and "in control" while riding/braking is more critical because the costs are higher at speed.
2.) Remember that the height of your boot heel and soles can make a big differerence. So can extra layers in the cold (you sit a little higher and may be more restricted in movement/flexibility). Suddenly your perfect pegs don't feel quite right with the new boots...
3.) The more you ride, the more your seat padding will compress a bit, this will lower you postion a bit. (Then you try a different seat and change it all again.)
4.) You mentioned you haven't ridden in a while. Give it some time and ride, ride, ride. We all develop habits, comforts etc, as we get used to our HD. So, it the fit is just a little off and not a significant safety concern, see what you like, what bothers you and what doesn't matter TO YOU first, then you can open your wallet to the wonderful world of accessories to get the custom fit you may be looking for. I think most here will agree that you will never be completely satisfied and will almost always see something you think is a little better, right after you install what you think is "perfect".:s

Enjoy it!:D

Welcome to The Forum, Buy the bike if it fits you and I think it sounds like it does. Do not worry about the Tranny, you will have 2 years of factory warranty and can opt for ESP. Buy a manual, use good lube IE Transmission lube like Spectro Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community and hang out here and we can fix you up:s

I'm 6ft and rode a Fatboy prior to my Ultra with no concerns or problems, bike was practically stock, no special risers, handle bars or seat. I've never had a problem shifting to N, nor any problems finding N.

You mention not riding for quite a few years. If you haven't already, consider taking a Rider's Course. Best of Luck!!!

Back