free website stats program Gurgling Slip Ons | Harley Davidson Forums

Gurgling Slip Ons

hd4evr

Banned
My new Rinehart slip ons make a gurgling noise when I let off the gas, or when I shift. It's not a backfire, just a gurgling noise. Dealer did the install, but I did notice he re-used my old exhaust clamps. Is this gurgling sound normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know mine gurgls a bit too, but should be normal - unless you have a leak somewhere. Did you check for any air/soot coming off the clamp joints? If you feel pressure, or see soot then there's a leak, but it should sound more like popping & pinging.

hd4evr.....I get the same when I'm somewhere between on the throttle (under acceleration) and not completely off the throttle. Sometimes it sounds more like a chirping sound. I assumed it was normal but after thinking about it my 2005 Sporster never did it.

Steve07....what is wrong with the tried and true method of using a couple of potatoes stuck in the end of the tail pipes?:lolrolling

Steve07....what is wrong with the tried and true method of using a couple of potatoes stuck in the end of the tail pipes?:lolrolling

In my case - I would get sidetracked on what I was doing when the smell of french fries hit the air!!!!! :D

I don't know. I can't believe the pipes are supposed to sound that way. I sound like an aquarium, you know, the bubbling air pump, with a tiny backfire every once in awhile when I let off the gas, or even when I shift gears. The dealer installed PCIII, but I'm not sure it's set right. Bike runs great, but the bubbling noise just sounds weird. I've seen a lot of Rinehart slip ons on other bikes and they don't sound like mine.

Back