free website stats program Group Rides or Solo? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Group Rides or Solo?

I always thought it was polite to arrive for a group ride with a full tank of gas. Hence all can hit the road and have fun, but some don't "get" that. They arrive on an empty tank sometimes late, then "announce" their scenario of having an empty tank. Hence all (most) have to follow them to the gas station and sit on their cycles bored, or folk get off their cycles and next thing you know you've lost an hour of riding.

My thinking why didn't these folks, just leave ten minutes earlier and fill up before arriving? Am I too ridgid to be a group rider? Or do I just lack motorcycling sensitivity HAW!

One of my pet peeves for sure !

One of the rules of my club is to arrive with a full tank. If you come empty, get it filled quick, cause we ain't waiting.

Groups are ok some times. Caution is allways the word for me. Solo is the best though. My bike get's crowded with me and all my closest friends.It's the journey not the destination.:rider

"It's the journey not the destination." Nice!
A couple others have made similar comments. One thing I was thinking while on the road was, what's the hurry? Isn't the ride a huge part of going? If not, then why not load up in the truck, stay dry and drink a cup of coffee?

Zoo-mon, you hit the nail on the head, that twisty road we call life is the reason we ride, and Ksboy, the speed you take is purely a matter of personal taste, comfort level and purpose (the law not withstanding). :D

KSBOY,
I prefer to ride solo or with my girl on the back but I will go on group rides if it is for something specialie: hero's ride or toys for tots, anything for our military or kids.

I have to agree, its definately the journey, thats the primary reason why we ride isn't it? I have ridden in large groups; toy runs, patriot guard, etc. as well as just me and the wife on our bikes. All depends on the mood. If I had to choose I'd say I prefer just the two of us, we like to stop alot whether it be for a hysterical marker or cold drink. It does seem that groups prefer to ride fast 70+ and I like the 55-60mph range, you can enjoy the sights more.

If I ride in a group I prefer to ride in a small group that I ride with alot. If its a large group toy run charity ride etc I try to get in the very back

As RichardS stated “’As Glider pointed out, this topic has been hit at least once before, but I guess since we take on so many new members each month there's some thoughts that will get re-opened from time to time!’” As a newbie, I will add my two cents to this most recent post, although I read the 56 posts on the first thread. I have ridden in many group rides; Blue Knights, Rolling Thunder, Toys for Tots, Teddy Bear Run, charity poker runs, HOG chapter, disabled veterans, etc. Every time I survive, I swear I will never do another one. I equate group riding to a team sport, military operation, or police response to a crime in progress. If the people involved are highly competent, highly trained and highly motivated, the chances for success are exponentially better than throwing together a bunch of people that just want to be involved. I doubt that many people go on a group ride with the intention of throwing a monkey wrench in the operation, they are simply not aware of the dynamics involved, or lack the skill to participate safely. Therein lies the problem! No matter how good a rider YOU may be, you are potentially surrounded by people who do not have a clue. On the most highly organized run I have been involved in, the entire interstate highway between Petersburg and Richmond, VA was completely shut down by the State Police. No traffic whatsoever other than hundreds of motorcycles going to the children’s hospital in Richmond. Even so, the speeds varied between 45 and 85. I was behind a guy on a chopper trying to light his cigarette as we were headed north. By the time he got it lit, there was a huge gap between him and the hundreds of riders ahead. Needless to say, he had to speed up to catch them, so the accordion effect was in full swing. He couldn’t have been the only one doing stupid stuff; it was a continuous, speed up, slam on brakes. I just couldn’t see the rest of them. Under the right scenario, I think group riding would be a great thing. For me personally, I’m done with it!

I belong to a riding club so go on a couple of group rides every month. I usually try to stay in the back. Recently, several of us "older guys" suggested that the group rides be split into 2 groups. The first group is the "hot dog" group. They can ride side by side, go as fast as they want, etc. The second group rides in a staggered formation and within 5 miles of the speed limit. Otherwise, I ride with 2 or 3 club members who ride the way I do - "It's the journey, not the desination."

Back