free website stats program Group Rides or Solo? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Group Rides or Solo?

Mife wife on the back and me - that's about it. 120 kph does it for me. Good music and a safe speed.

I prefer not to ride in large groups with riders I don't know. Small group of 4 or 5 of my buddies is ok. Sometimes alone or just with my Wife is a great ride.

Pops

I ride solo on many occasions.I do enjoy a group ride if it is with riders I trust.My wife likes to go with me now and then and I have routes picked out for just such an occasion.

Well, I'm a new rider of maybe a total of 2000 miles. I think I'd rather meet the crowd there than to ride there with the crowd.

Good points of views on both sides.
Here's another reason I like the solo ride; I can let my mind drift a bit and enjoy the scenery. With these guys I was more tense and found myself concentrating more on them. The total ride was less than 4 hours and I was so fatigued when I got back home. I felt like I had ridden all day.
When you guys ride with others, how tight do you ride? Between my reactions and my bikes old brakes, I don't feel safe riding as tight as sardines in a can.

ive got about ten guys i ride with regularly. we enjoy the same pace and i know how they react to certain situations. ive got two freinds ive ridden with since the beginning and i know what they will do before they do it. the poker runs around here are crazy for the most part it all about getting to 80mph as fast as possible. i used to do all the poker runs i could, now i do maybe two a year. id rather get with a few freinds or run into people i know and fall in with them. i like it slow and relaxed.

Most group rides I have been on are almost always a safety disaster. Way too many people that have no idea of safety, passing, running stop signs, etc. The last toy run I rode ended up hurting a couple of people just because of this. No thanks.

I ride with the local HOG chapter about once or twice a month. Those are good group rides. Safety meeting prior, route laid out, sweep rider for problems, no one goes crazy, frequent stops to stretch, always food involved, all have a good time, etc.

I enjoy riding with my son when he can get away and we can meet somewhere for a day or two.

Other than that, I ride alone. My long distance tours are always by myself.

I always thought it was polite to arrive for a group ride with a full tank of gas. Hence all can hit the road and have fun, but some don't "get" that. They arrive on an empty tank sometimes late, then "announce" their scenario of having an empty tank. Hence all (most) have to follow them to the gas station and sit on their cycles bored, or folk get off their cycles and next thing you know you've lost an hour of riding.

My thinking why didn't these folks, just leave ten minutes earlier and fill up before arriving? Am I too ridgid to be a group rider? Or do I just lack motorcycling sensitivity HAW!

Good points of views on both sides.
When you guys ride with others, how tight do you ride? Between my reactions and my bikes old brakes, I don't feel safe riding as tight as sardines in a can.

The Georgia motorcycle drivers handbook advises "when riding in staggered formation, keep ONE second between you and the rider in front of you" ONE second is not enough.
I was recently involved in a 2 bike accident. Riding staggered on a 2 lane road, my "trusted" riding buddy and I ran into a severe rain/lightning storm. I spotted a safe place to pull over and gave hand and turn signals as well as flashing the brake lights. As I turned off the road he rear ended me at about 5 mph. We both went down (more like tipped over), minor damage to both bikes, but he broke his knee. Now I am being sued by him for negligance. No fault besides weather conditions were assigned by the police. Makes it difficult to want to ride with anyone behind me anymore.

The Georgia motorcycle drivers handbook advises "when riding in staggered formation, keep ONE second between you and the rider in front of you" ONE second is not enough.
I was recently involved in a 2 bike accident. Riding staggered on a 2 lane road, my "trusted" riding buddy and I ran into a severe rain/lightning storm. I spotted a safe place to pull over and gave hand and turn signals as well as flashing the brake lights. As I turned off the road he rear ended me at about 5 mph. We both went down (more like tipped over), minor damage to both bikes, but he broke his knee. Now I am being sued by him for negligance. No fault besides weather conditions were assigned by the police. Makes it difficult to want to ride with anyone behind me anymore.

That one second is the bike staggered in front of you, so the bike you are following directly behind should be 2 seconds. Riding too far behind and cars will cut in front of you. The most important thing is to look way ahead and not at the bike in front of you.

Back