free website stats program Ground Strap Retaining Bolt R&R | Harley Davidson Forums

Ground Strap Retaining Bolt R&R

NEWHD74FAN

Experienced Member
Retired Moderators
I noticed that the ground strap retaining bolt at the bottom of the engine has broken free and is would have been lost except for the California emissions can preventing it from falling all the way out.

Does anyone have any experience with the access and proper replacement of this bolt, I think the nut is probably buried in the bowels of a cavity I cannot see or seem to be able to access. I noticed this is a common problem on Sportsters, but no one really documents how to actually fix it.

I think that I would thoroughly clean the terminal on the ground strap, and the bolt and attaching point. Then I would go purchase a self locking nut for this bolt and reattach it to the frame.

It's a motor mount bolt with a double nut. Remove the battery and the battery box and you can reach the nut end. The head end is reached in front of the rear wheel. Tighten the inner nut, that's for the motor mount . Then set the ground cable end over the bolt end protruding past the nut followed by the nut for the ground cable.

Thanks eleft36, I am really new at this, went to the Harley shop and ordered the manual, oil filter, oil...oil omigosh $100 already?...as the bleeding continues :eek:)

It's only the beginning :D

Speaking about bleeding, I got the service manual and discovered they want me to bleed the rear brakes, remove the CA smog cannister, remove the rear master cylinder, the smog cannister mounting bracket and then access the bolt, to clean and tighten the connection...it was a job! :57: It's okay...:yeahright

Back