free website stats program Ground Corosion | Harley Davidson Forums

Ground Corosion

First, if this has already come up, I apologize. I could'nt find anything that addressed this.
01 Heritage. A while back, I installed a Battery Tender and it seemed to work great at first, till one day I went out and she cranked once over and then lost all power. No lights,...nothing. Couple minutes later turned on, all lights came on, pushed starter, clicked once & went dead again. Put a volt meter on her and battery had a full charge. After a few calls to friends, one Bro suggested I check my grounds to the frame by the battery. Took all of them off and there was indeed a light coat of corrosion on each of the grounds as well as on the battery cable connectors themselves and it was barely visible I might add. After sanding the connectors clean and replacing them, she fired right up. I attributed this problem to the battery tender and removed it. Only now it still happens about every 3-4 weeks . Is there anything anyone is aware of that will stop or at least retard the corrosion? If I seal the connectors at the frame, will it prevent this or will they still corrode under the seal? Thanks.

I agree with Iceman24. I do the same thing. You didn't say how old your battery was though. The battery tender shouldn't have caused the corrosion problem though, unless your term. connections at battery were a little loose.
tourbox

+1 on both Iceman24 and tourboxs posts, add a light coating of dielectric grease on all the cable ends.
I cannot imagine how or why a battery tender could cause this issue.

Iceman24, Tourbox, and Jeff Klarich. Thank you, all for your input. This battery is about 2 years old. The corrosion is very light, and hard to see sometimes and occurs on all connectors that are bolted to the frame. Even being ever so light, it's enough to cause the symptoms described above and no start problem. I attribute this problem to what I thought might be the battery tender because it seemed like this began happening shortly after I installed the pig tail an began using it. I'll use the dielectric grease. Thanks much, for the help

I changed all the cables out on one of my bikes to the gold coated type. Less corrosion, more flexible, higher quality, last forever. If any connection is slightly loose you'll get corrosion. Vibration is the culprit.

Thanks ThunderRogue. I'll look into those cables, and, (just maybe), I might be able to afford some if they ain't too spendy, lol. In the meantime I'll use the dielectric grease and try to keep everything tight. Thanks again.

Loose and/or corroded connections definitely cause issues. My 2006 Chevy Colorado starting acting weird, all of a sudden, and I located the issue w/ground points. Both under the hood positions were loose and spawned my troubles. Removed, cleaned, coated and torqued down...no more troubles going on 2+ years.

Back