free website stats program Groove on the top/out side of the belt? | Harley Davidson Forums

Groove on the top/out side of the belt?

crazy_eyes

I have a '98 Road King that has been heavily modified this year. S&S 117CI motor, Revtech 6spd trans, with ring gear and higher wattage starter to crank the monster. Had a brand new belt on, with no belt gaurds, but had been smelling burning rubber while at high speeds (this is after tire alignment with factory wheel setup). I now have around 700 miles on the bike and finally found that the smell was coming from something rubbing on the top side of the belt... there is a groove the entire length of the belt about 1/8" wide and deep.

Should be easy to figure out the cause once opened back up, just wondering if anyone has experienced this before?

Attachments

• Belt groove.jpg
    Belt groove.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 30
I have a '98 Road King that has been heavily modified this year. S&S 117CI motor, Revtech 6spd trans, with ring gear and higher wattage starter to crank the monster. Had a brand new belt on, with no belt gaurds, but had been smelling burning rubber while at high speeds (this is after tire alignment with factory wheel setup). I now have around 700 miles on the bike and finally found that the smell was coming from something rubbing on the top side of the belt... there is a groove the entire length of the belt about 1/8" wide and deep.

Should be easy to figure out the cause once opened back up, just wondering if anyone has experienced this before?

Is that belt adjusted properly, maybe hitting a boss on the tranny case?

Back