free website stats program Grip change | Harley Davidson Forums

Grip change

CoreyV

Just received new grips for my sporty and want to get them on. I plan on using the stock throttle tube that is in the grip right now. So here is my question....If I get the grip off the throttle side with it on the bike can I just push the new grip on with out disassembling it from the housing or is it going to require too much twisting and pushing to get it on that way???

If you pour some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol inside the new grips and swish it around, the grip will slip right on. Give it a little while to evaporate and the grip should be tight.

As Breeze says, IF you managed to cut out the old grip without damage and clean the surface throughly before putting new ones on. Sometimes those old grips can be pretty...uhhh...stubborn! :s

Haven't checked-out Sporty specs lately, but don't they have "fly-by-wire" throttle like Touring bikes? Maybe it's my ignorance...:s

Wow I'm learning something here. Obviously Sporty throttle assemblies are different than Dynas.

I've heard of using hair spray to put grips on. Never tried it myself. Apparently it lubricates then gets sticky when it dries

Well I couldn't wait til the weekend so I tied into my grip change this evening. I cut the grip off the left side but had to split apart the switch housing to get all the grip off. There was a ridge on the stock grip that was under the switch housing. Also cut off the throttle side. It came right off. I took Breeze's advice and used the rubbing alcohol to help the grips slip on. So if you buy new grips that require a throttle tube...don't disassemble the throttle housing. Thanks for the tips!!

sometimes when you use thos slipon aftermarket grips they have a tendency to slip. if so they make grip glue wich also lubricates to help slip them on then drys

Back