free website stats program grip change | Harley Davidson Forums

grip change

lowrider13

I was wondering how difficult it is to change my grips? Some say you need an extra hand . Any help would be appreciated.

It's not a very difficult job at all. I just changed mine over the weekend. I did have a buddy stop over and he helped me. The extra hands really helped on the throttle side. The left side is a breeze though.

If you have any mechanical ability at all it is not a problem. My new grips sat on the workbench for a month until I got the nerve to try! Left hand grip is a breeze. Then I got scared when the instructions said I should have a service manual to change throttle side. Rode around with two different grips for a month. Finally got tired of looking at it that way, figured I couldn't mess it up so bad Harley tech couldn't fix it. Jumped in and was done in about 20 minutes. "JUST DO IT"
:bigsmiley8:

Best thing you can do is to put a piece of carpeting under the throttle side whey you open it up. During the disassembly process there are two brass ferrels on the throttle cable ends that if they bounce out and hit the floor, they seem to disappear forever. The carpeting will keep them from disappearing :D

Best thing you can do is to put a piece of carpeting under the throttle side whey you open it up. During the disassembly process there are two brass ferrels on the throttle cable ends that if they bounce out and hit the floor, they seem to disappear forever. The carpeting will keep them from disappearing :D

Good advice there. I forgot about that, and we did drop one of those little buggers when changing mine but we found it.

Back