free website stats program Grinding noise when coming to a stop | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Grinding noise when coming to a stop

Well the funny thing is, when I come to a stop, and pull in the clutch, and then use the front then add in some rear brake, I get the grinding noise.

If I come to a stop, use the rear brake, the front brake, and then pull in the clutch, no noise...

Weird. I think it is in the primary or tran$....

However, I am going to ride it for while, and then get it fixed over the winter. As long as I use my work-around, I'm ok.

BD

I have been having this issue for the last week or so. It sounds and feels as if something is loose. I've been over every inch of the bike from the brake pedal back. The only thing I could find even close to loose was a very small amount of play in the rear brake lever that appears to rattle when I begin to stop and the engine begins to vibrate somewhat. If I apply more pressure on the rear brake pedal it goes away, once stopped and rear brake pedal is released it begins to rattle again. I attempted to tighten the brake lever but it was not loose. Not sure what's going on but I will not rest until it is fixed.

gears lightly touching: sounds like either a spun trans sprocket or slider gear in the trans. A spun sprocket will sound like two gears lightly grinding, but once it's spun that's usually it: no more go from that point on. I'm leaning towards possibly a bent or broken shifter fork in the trans. When you reverse the direction of torque within the trans, perhaps the misalignment is causing a cogged slider to disengage just enough to cause that grinding sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have fixed the problem. I went out for a ride this morning in another attempt to locate the source of the noise. When I returned I was unable to locate the noise with the bike running. After parking the bike I began to hit the engine guard with my fist in an attempt to make the bike vibrate. After doing this for a few minutes I determined that the noise was coming from the floorboard area. Long story made short, the bottom of the floorboard pan was making contact with the front floorboard mounting bracket where the pan and bracket are bolted together. I placed a small thin flat washer between the pan and bracket, rebolted the pan and went for another ride. No more noise and no more felling problem thru brake pedal. I hope this was the issue. I will attempt a longer ride tomorrow to make sure. If this helps please let me know. Thanks.

I think you're right, Z-Man...

This past week, I was out riding trying to figure it out....

If I really give the brake a hard push, ( and this was when I was in 1st) with the clutch pulled in; it felt like that hard braking was making the transmission downshift. I felt it go 'clunk', like it was downshifting....

Never does it with the front, only the rear brake... I cant figure out why that is... very strange. And not everytime...

I think I will adjust the clutch one more time, and the cable, and look at the primary...

Maybe pick up a new set of shifter forks from Baker...

Wish it was a touring bike, easier to get to the transmission!

Back