free website stats program grinding noise in primary | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

grinding noise in primary

JUST another thought.... Before Loosening the comp, TIGHTEN it to see IF it might be OR was LOOSE...

That was my issue BUBBIE, the comp nut would not hold it's torque and the dealer ended up replacing everything on the primary side except the clutch.

I let the primary drain overnight with the clutch lever zip tied to get most of the oil out, then ran the bike for a minute or so with the outer cover on to let the oil fling off. I took the outer cover off and ran the bike for another minute or so. The noise is definitely coming from the primary area. It sounds like the chain is making the noise. Looking at the chain, there is wear on the side that rides in the sprockets. It has an auto tensioner, maybe it has the chain too tight in the tight spot of the chain/

Yea, the bike is stone cold. I'm almost sure the chain is what the noise is, having changed the inner primary bearing & clutch hub bearing already. With the outer primary cover off, I can tell the noise is in the primary. I'm putting on a new chain and a Hayden primary tensioner. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Yea, the bike is stone cold. I'm almost sure the chain is what the noise is, having changed the inner primary bearing & clutch hub bearing already. With the outer primary cover off, I can tell the noise is in the primary. I'm putting on a new chain and a Hayden primary tensioner. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Be sure to check the alignment of the chain as described and shown in the manual. If not aligned, this could be a source of more noise than necessary and will increase the wear / reduce the life of the chain and sprockets.

A good 3 foot or longer straight edge or even a piece of metal that you know is straight will be important to do this.

Cheers,

TQ

Let`s clarify what is moving in the transmission, some info posted here is well, not correct...

Engine running, trans in neutral clutch lever released: the mainshaft is spinning.

Engine running, trans in neutral, pull in clutch lever: The mainshaft will still be spinning because the clutch cannot completely disengage due to the oil drag on the clutch discs.

Drop transmission into 1st gear: mainshaft stops spinning.

The main drive gear (output shaft) only spins when the rear wheel is spinning.

I received the new primary chain & the Hayden chain tensioner. Took everything out of the primary, including the rotor & spring cap. The spring cap is cracked about 1/4 of the way around the housing, like the spring pressure is pushing it apart. The cam slider has a shiny worn circle on the spring cap side. I have to replace the rotor and I suppose it would be a good idea to replace the cam slider.

As long as your there might be a good idea. Maybe a new comp nut as well, on mine the comp nut would not hold it's torque value and ate my rotor. By the time the dealer was done I had a whole new primary side except the clutch basket. Thank god for extended warranty! For some reason the comp nut has been a problem.

Back