free website stats program Great trade | Harley Davidson Forums

Great trade

Nails

I've been trying to sell my camper for about three months, last week a guy calls me and asks if I'll swap for his '04 Ultra. Worked out great for both of us, I was going to look for a touring bike this winter.

Most surprising was that the boss was cool with me having two bikes. The sLowrider is a bit uncomfortable two up on the highway in the wind along the front range.

The previous owner pulled off the tour pack to get that "streetglide" look. Rather than invest in the detachable bottom plate, I'm considering bolting the tour pack back on, he all ready has the docking points/back rest on the bike. For those of you running a detachable tour pack, what are the pluses and minuses?
Al

I am like The Tank. I have had my bike going on 4 years and took the tour pak off once. It is a great junk collector.
kemo

My tour pak is mounted with a quick disconnect bracket. I have it slid forward so I can use it for a back rest. I really don't like the looks of a tour pak but at my advanced age :bigsmiley28: it sure is nice on a long ride. I take it off for around town or short rides.

I keep my tour pak off unless riding 2 up. I like the option, sometimes I just use a sissybar as well.

Thanks for the input, still up in the air about bolting the tour pack on. Here is a picture of the new ride. These bikes look totally different without the tour pack.
I put saddle bags on my lowrider and ended up never taking them off.

Attachments

• P1010304.jpg
    P1010304.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 139
Nails; When I bought my Classic, the prev. owner had removed the TP and lost the bracket. It has a Street Glide seat in addition to the stock one. I loved the SG look, but wanted the TP option, so I got the quick disconnect system. At first I switched back and forth, but lately, I just keep the TP on.
It sure is nice to have the quick choice of looks.

Thanks for the input, still up in the air about bolting the tour pack on. Here is a picture of the new ride. These bikes look totally different without the tour pack.
I put saddle bags on my lowrider and ended up never taking them off.

Don't know about the camper :newsmile030: , but what a fine looking Ultra/Glide :D

Everyone else has pretty much covered it so I'll just try to summarize the pros and cons of a detachable tourpack.

Advantages:

1. Extra storage at a moments notice
2. Passenger comfort
3. Better access to back of bike for cleaning/maintenance with pack off
4. Stripped down Street Glide look for local cruising

Disadvantages:

1. Have to have someplace to put the pack when removed
2. Extra labor wiring a disconnect for any lights on the pack

I'm like most - shelled out the $$$ for a detachable tourpack on my Street Glide thinking I would only use it on overnight trips. Then my wife raved about how much more comfortable the tourpack backrest was. Then I realized how nice it was to be able to lock my helmet and jacket in it when away from the bike.

In short, the tourpack stays on my bike 90% of the time now!

Back