free website stats program Great little tool !! | Harley Davidson Forums

Great little tool !!

HarryB737

I found a great tool you might be interested in, to check your battery & Alternator. It plugs into a cigarette lighter socket. It has a series of 6-LED lights, 3-up one side for battery check & 3-up the otherside to check Alternator output (In volts) On the battery side the "Red"= less than 11.75volts (DEAD) Yellow=11.8-12.35v (Charge) & Green=12.4-12.6volts (Charged) On the other side for Alternator check: Yellow=13.2v Too Low
Green= 13.4-14.75v Normal & Red= Over 14.8v Too High The P/C board inside controls which & how many lights to light. I checked the bike output (Fine)... Plugged into my P/up truck & via flickering output lights determined I had a loose connection at the battery, which would have caught us in a very inopportune time. After cleaning & replacing battery cable ends did a recheck & everything checked fine... I found this tool at Harbor Freight for around 10 dollars... Item # 66842 FYI

clear.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46972

Yep the Harbor Freight tool like this one, P/N 46972-3VGA $3.99 Simple to use 3 battery condition LEDS..."batteries not required" (inside anyways). There is one also at Kragen/O'Riellys' for $12.99 that has more battery condition AND charge LED ranges as well, that works even better. Simple to use and rugged...just "wrap cord and toss into tool bag'...

clear.gif

Last edited:
Back