free website stats program Grease neck | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Grease neck

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease in all neck bearings as well as pre 2000 wheel bearings, have not had any problems with it melting down and running out of the neck on hot summer days like the HD special purpose grease always does.
It cost a little more, but shes worth it!

Auto Zone carries this and it is on sale:s

Having bought my bike used , when I first saw the zerk I thought ok needs to be greased then went to grease it and pumped and pumped and got nervous cause so much grease was going in and none coming out so I quit thinking ok there isn't any grease in there now maybe there isn't supposed to be. My question would be is why are the dealers on prep not greasing this to full? why is it leaving the factory with no grease? I thought maybe no grease because on the hot days it runs out and makes a mess of the fender and the front of the motor, and now here all are saying don't wait to long so now what do I do on an 04 Florida police retired R.K.? Tim

Having bought my bike used , when I first saw the zerk I thought ok needs to be greased then went to grease it and pumped and pumped and got nervous cause so much grease was going in and none coming out so I quit thinking ok there isn't any grease in there now maybe there isn't supposed to be. My question would be is why are the dealers on prep not greasing this to full? why is it leaving the factory with no grease? I thought maybe no grease because on the hot days it runs out and makes a mess of the fender and the front of the motor, and now here all are saying don't wait to long so now what do I do on an 04 Florida police retired R.K.? Tim

Well since you started to grease it,,,, You might Just as well use the same grease and gun and start pumping... YES it does take a LOT of grease,,,, Keep pumping...

HD would NOT spend the extra $$ to pump them full.. Just like bearings in trailers that sell new... MOST don't Pack the hubs like Most of us do.. Filling the bearings and a little in the races then together.. saves a buck and the labor..

PUMP n PUMP and watch for the grease HOPEFULLY it is like mine and will come out the top and the bottom at the same time IF NOT ,,, check back there are tricks we know to do..

Don't Keep pumping after it JUST starts to show as it is messy and No fun to clean in that tight area..

signed....BUBBIE

Good advice here. Wouldn't have thought to do it with the new bike but will do so now. As asked in the original post, any other grease fittings on a newer Street Glide?

Thanks...

inspect and lubricate the following at scheduled service intervals....
((schedules in Your book...)) my words

***front brake hand lever
***clutch hand lever
***clutch cable
***foot shift lever (if applicable)
***rear brake lever pivot
***steering head bearing
***jiffy stand
*************************** Out of my big bool on my 09 FLHR********
In MY Opinion and from what I have seen Not done to my bikes (years ago) when serviced by HD,,,, Marked but NOT done... Not always but yes On mine.

These things Listed above are Probably the MOST neglected things on a bike that are SUPPOSED to get LUBED...

EITHER by the Shops or the rider who does His Own maintenance...

DON"T ASK ME HOW I KNOW please..:newsmile07:

signed....BUBBIE

Remember guys that when these bikes are assembled, the bearings are only hand greased before installation so I wouldn't wait too long for the first greasing. There's no grease in the neck area on a new bike.

So I guess 2 years old and 10,000 miles is too long to wait? I had better get to auto zone soon.

So I guess 2 years old and 10,000 miles is too long to wait? I had better get to auto zone soon.

Please don't give me a beating for asking.. But what is a "neck" and doni need to get the service manual to learn/see what you guys are talking about?. Or is there a vid on YouTube?. In 3 weeks I'm off on a lengthy ride on my 2010 flhx and would like to do this. My first oil change by myself for me was a big deal.
Thanks in advance. Shawn
WAP.gif

Please don't give me a beating for asking.. But what is a "neck" and doni need to get the service manual to learn/see what you guys are talking about?. Or is there a vid on YouTube?. In 3 weeks I'm off on a lengthy ride on my 2010 flhx and would like to do this. My first oil change by myself for me was a big deal.
Thanks in advance. Shawn
WAP.gif

RG neck bearing grease note - Harley Davidson Community
Installing a 90 degree zerk fitting helps alot. Found on my 2008 EG that it is metric...

Back