free website stats program Grease neck | Harley Davidson Forums

Grease neck

bobrobert

How often should you grease the neck of your motocycle? I have 2010 streetglide and is there any other grease nipples?

How often should you grease the neck of your motocycle? I have 2010 streetglide and is there any other grease nipples?

The first time you grease the left front Zerk fitting... It will take a lot...

09 flhr two years old in August this year.
I Just did mine and waited WAY to LONG to do so.. Put it OFF put it OFF put it OFF.. Now Greased (syn red) It SURE felt different in a good way.. I DOUBT HD does anything More than Pack the bearings when putting it together... and the Big Neck chamber is DRY...

Like TQ1 says annual for me from now on..

When I pumped the grease in on a cool day, It filled and I stopped right when it Came out the top and bottom bearing Just a LITTLE and No Mess was made.....

Thanks for asking your question,,,,

as I would SUGGEST all to DO as I say NOT as I DID.. Don't wait FILL right after you BUY the New Bike and KNOWING then the grease is Full inside the neck...

signed....BUBBIE

The first time you grease the left front Zerk fitting... It will take a lot...

09 flhr two years old in August this year.
I Just did mine and waited WAY to LONG to do so.. Put it OFF put it OFF put it OFF.. Now Greased (syn red) It SURE felt different in a good way.. I DOUBT HD does anything More than Pack the bearings when putting it together... and the Big Neck chamber is DRY...

Like TQ1 says annual for me from now on..

When I pumped the grease in on a cool day, It filled and I stopped right when it Came out the top and bottom bearing Just a LITTLE and No Mess was made.....

Thanks for asking your question,,,,

as I would SUGGEST all to DO as I say NOT as I DID.. Don't wait FILL right after you BUY the New Bike and KNOWING then the grease is Full inside the neck...

signed....BUBBIE
Thanks Bubbie for the good advice..i am new to this site i hope im doing everything right. its an awesome site im glad i joined it. I"ve read a lot of stuff on here and learned a lot of great stuff.

thanks
bob

thats a good question...wondering the same thing too. would be good to know what to buy with the hot weather coming.

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease in all neck bearings as well as pre 2000 wheel bearings, have not had any problems with it melting down and running out of the neck on hot summer days like the HD special purpose grease always does.
It cost a little more, but shes worth it!

I wondered that for all the Time that I waited to Grease..

Found a garage along a ride out yesterday that looked CLEAN and had a few empty stalls..

I pulled in and asked what kind of grease they used and what color it was.. They said Black and it was MOLY..

I asked about the RED and YES they also carried it, It is a synthetic that would mix with any Normal grease....

I said OKAY to the syn red.... Then asking to see what came out of the bearings when they were filled with the New grease.....

The ONLY thing that came out was a LITTLE red when filled... No discolor and made me think either that HD had red in it OR There Wasn't Much Left On the Bearings as I waited too long to fill....

The grease strayed in good and I will give Feed Back IF it does NOT hold up to the heat and gets messy..

I've been told that the syn red stays in Longer and doesn't have the tendency to warm and thin like the moly does,,, Leaking out..

signed....BUBBIE

Chopper just posted above mine and I would GO with HIS suggested grease.....

Thanks Chopper....

Remember guys that when these bikes are assembled, the bearings are only hand greased before installation so I wouldn't wait too long for the first greasing. There's no grease in the neck area on a new bike.

Good advice here. Wouldn't have thought to do it with the new bike but will do so now. As asked in the original post, any other grease fittings on a newer Street Glide?

Thanks...

Back