free website stats program Gray goop on magnetic plug | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Gray goop on magnetic plug

Gray "goop" could mean a lot of things, I suppose you could as doctordoug said, put it in lacquer thinner and once all is in suspension use a magnet to pull the actual metallic bits out (of course nickel, lead and other non ferrous metals would not and settle out... :)

Grey "goop" on the primary drain plug is to be expected. Every Harley that I have owned has had it. I believe that the clutch plates wear, and create the "goop". I am not too sure about the transmission plug, as there is nothing in there that should normally "wear". I would be very concerned about steel shavings on the magnet.

HERE I GO AGAIN, I Use REDLINE Shockproof in the trannys. ... ... ... signed....BUBBIE

Ok (just joined last year) so besides the fact that you don't have the goop what makes Redline different from other full synthetics ?

Ok (just joined last year) so besides the fact that you don't have the goop what makes Redline different from other full synthetics ?

The Redline Shockproof Heavy BOAST the fact that their SHOCKPROOF coats Between the Metal and Doesn't allow Metal to Metal contact.... (molecules)
I do believe this as the Many Bikes I have owned.... SHOW NEVER ANY Metal on the magnetic Plug when changing..

I HAD used Formal+ in a tranny from new once, and it always HAD Many pieces of Metal on the magnetic plug after drained..
I Changed over to Redline S P H and it quieted down and shifted better and NO Metal on the magnet..

I am a believer. If you don't , I can't help you there. I have Nothing to gain by tell of MY experiences with the stuff.

I Notice on another site where Builders/Racers Lurk, They Praise Redline products. ESP. shockproof for their tranny's..

Glider made a Mention while Here on HDTimeline, that Redline synthetic engine oil is One Of the Best... Giving a short report that shows Ratings:
Rating Redline as a level #5 while Most other Full Synthetics hit that scale at a #4 AND Lower (which is Still very good)..

I put over 117,000 miles on a Hot (3 different builds)2000 FXDS.. Wore out a lot of parts on that bike:

Never touched the stock clutch(117,000) miles, and it worked well when traded off. I used Redline MTL from 1000 miles on in the Primary..YES Some grey But not much

Nothing wrong with the 5 speed tranny at 50,000, but replaced the gear-set to a 6 speed Rev-Tech and put more than 60,000 miles there.... Always using Reds Shockproof Heavy.. Never ANY Metal on Mag..... NEVER...

Just My Way...

signed....BUBBIE

The Redline Shockproof Heavy BOAST the fact that their SHOCKPROOF coats Between the Metal and Doesn't allow Metal to Metal .... ..... .... signed....BUBBIE

Ok sounds interesting. When you talk about molecules between metal it reminds me of the teflon products (Slick 50 etc) that were big 17yrs ago. They are still around just don't hear as much about them.

Anyhow I'm game for trying it. I just changed everything over to Amsoil, and using their Severe Gear 90w product in the Tranny. So I've got some miles to go before I change again.

But when I do get ready to change again, I want to get this straight,
Redline Shockproof Heavy in Crank ? Any specific weight ?
Redline Shockproof Heavy in Trans ? Any specific weight ?
Redline MTL in primary ? Weight or other specs ?

I'm also gonna look online and see if there are any Redline dealers local since having an Amsoil dealer 5 miles away saves me on shipping costs.

I have seen a small amount of mush in the primary. Figured it was from the clutch. Nothing in the trans. I used to use Redline but couldn't stand the strong odor or the fact that it took forever to drain the fluid. I suppose it was a good thing but switched to Amsoil severe gear as the Dealer carries it and it seems to work well. Time will tell.

Ok sounds interesting. When you talk about molecules between metal it reminds me of the teflon products (Slick 50 etc) that were big 17yrs ago. They are still around just don't hear as much about them.

Anyhow I'm game for trying it. I just changed everything over to Amsoil, and using their Severe Gear 90w product in the Tranny. So I've got some miles to go before I change again.

But when I do get ready to change again, I want to get this straight,
Redline Shockproof Heavy in Crank ? Any specific weight ?
Redline Shockproof Heavy in Trans ? Any specific weight ?
Redline MTL in primary ? Weight or other specs ?

I'm also gonna look online and see if there are any Redline dealers local since having an Amsoil dealer 5 miles away saves me on shipping costs.

Redline Shockproof is for the tranny ONLY..

NO it doesn't have anything like slick 50

The molecular design of Redline in the Heavy Shockproof is what Keep the Metal to metal from happening.

Engine Redline is the same as other brands coming in different weights..

The one I use(saves 3$ a bottle) id their 20/50 blue label just stating Redline 20/50.

You can Buy the More expensive label saying FOR V-TWIN 20/60 but I have used the Regular Redline for a number of years and won't Buy the 3$ Label for V-twin.. The tech at redline(dave) says the v-twin has a LITTLE more anti wear additive in it.. BUT sated to me that their Regular label is Just as good..

The MTL is a Yellow label and is and Has been used for many years and CALLED-OUT for wet clutch and HD use.
Here INSTEAD of MTL (label again) , You can buy the label that states "V-twin Primary" lube. probably for a $$ more.

The engine oil 20/50 Redline has worked great for Me and also used in My other gas drive engines for many years...
I have kept my Gas Drive Welder (miller 251) in top condition 2800 hrs and still like new , using 10/40 Redline and Long Dyna filters... Never had a problem putting several thousand HOURS on 3 Others that I have owned using Redline..
Buyers of my old used welders still saying they work fine today and run good, using no Oil..

The measure of Piston to cylinder on a particular build in my 2000 FXDS,,,10.5/1,,, showed NO wear Measured after 30,000 miles on the build, when changing out for a different build, going with lower compression pistons 10.25/1 SE ,,, Only needed to Hone (de-glaze) the cyls and install the new pistons/rings..

The MTL I have used in my HD's in the Primary's and the last bike the Original Clutch at 117,000 miles and it was over 100 HP and 100+ torque.

Redline 20/50 = engine
MTL Redline for the Primary
Redline Shockproof Heavy for the tranny

that is the stuff I use...

MANY other brands out there but I'll stick with what works well for me..

As far as smell (yes it does) and slow drain of the Redline Shockproof from the tranny, I can put up with that because I Reap the Harvest of No Metal in the gear box,,,

Even When I Hear the Occasional shifting into Low, CLUNK, I KNOW Shockproof is Protecting the gears.

signed....BUBBIE

Back