free website stats program Gray colored engine, not black | Harley Davidson Forums

Gray colored engine, not black

Looking at a 2007 Roadglide It has the gray engine dont know proper name why is it this color and not black? What is the difference if any? Not sure if I like it. Thanks for info. It maybe a stupid question but would like to know.

They gray is called silver and it is a powder coated finish. The 4 finishes currently available on various models ( these are model specific ) are Black & Chrome, Silver and Polished, Granite and the newest of the four is all Black.

Looking at a 2007 Roadglide It has the gray engine dont know proper name why is it this color and not black? What is the difference if any? Not sure if I like it. Thanks for info. It maybe a stupid question but would like to know.

It is the same paint as the black but only it is silver. I bought my EG Standard primarily because of the silver motor. I find it easier to keep clean and does not seem to show the stone chips as easily. I put the chrome touring kit onto it too.

Neil

Neilwillo is correct, engine paint is used for all except the chrome and polished aluminum finiishes..if you accidently get a little bit of carb cleaner or strong solvent on engine, do not rub or you will be "sure"...the hard way!!!:bigsmiley29:

Last edited:
Of the engine coloring formats...I like the black and chrome the best, and the all blacked-out the least.
I know some folks like the "blacked out look", but it has never been my cup of tea.

I have the opposite point of view, while I like the black and chrome, I think the natural finish to be more of the way motors were made before all the other finishes came around. With the all black craze of late, I feel the natural finish on the jugs gives a nice contrast.:)

I remember a factory rep in Sturgis telling us the wrinkle black on the Softails was to hide the weepage of oil LOL

I too like the black and chrome look. That "natural" or silver look strikes me as "cheap" looking.

Ditto. Not a fan of the silver either, I also think it looks cheap. I always wondered why they did that on the more expensive bikes. I had a silver engine once and disliked it. (I bought the bike used, not a HD) I found it harder, not easier, to keep clean, and all the gaskets (which will eventually seep) looked bad and obvious. This is a personal choice so no wrong answer, but I doubt I will never buy another MC with a silver engine.
Ride safe.

Back