Gray colored engine, not black

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by heritage2002, Feb 1, 2010.

1. heritage2002

heritage2002 Member

Looking at a 2007 Roadglide It has the gray engine dont know proper name why is it this color and not black? What is the difference if any? Not sure if I like it. Thanks for info. It maybe a stupid question but would like to know.

2. maine-e-axe

maine-e-axe Junior Member

I think the gray is just raw aluminum that don't have the black paint on them.

3. PaulWhite

PaulWhite Active Member

i think the gray is called natural finish, on the right color bike it looks good

4. R.Bingham

R.Bingham Active Member

They gray is called silver and it is a powder coated finish. The 4 finishes currently available on various models ( these are model specific ) are Black & Chrome, Silver and Polished, Granite and the newest of the four is all Black.

5. Neilwillo

Neilwillo Member

It is the same paint as the black but only it is silver. I bought my EG Standard primarily because of the silver motor. I find it easier to keep clean and does not seem to show the stone chips as easily. I put the chrome touring kit onto it too.

Neil

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Neilwillo is correct, engine paint is used for all except the chrome and polished aluminum finiishes..if you accidently get a little bit of carb cleaner or strong solvent on engine, do not rub or you will be "sure"...the hard way!!!:bigsmiley29:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  7. Randall K. Wilson

Randall K. Wilson Junior Member

Of the engine coloring formats...I like the black and chrome the best, and the all blacked-out the least.
    I know some folks like the "blacked out look", but it has never been my cup of tea.

8. uglydude

uglydude Member

I have the opposite point of view, while I like the black and chrome, I think the natural finish to be more of the way motors were made before all the other finishes came around. With the all black craze of late, I feel the natural finish on the jugs gives a nice contrast.:)

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

I remember a factory rep in Sturgis telling us the wrinkle black on the Softails was to hide the weepage of oil LOL

10. walleye

walleye Junior Member Contributor

Ditto. Not a fan of the silver either, I also think it looks cheap. I always wondered why they did that on the more expensive bikes. I had a silver engine once and disliked it. (I bought the bike used, not a HD) I found it harder, not easier, to keep clean, and all the gaskets (which will eventually seep) looked bad and obvious. This is a personal choice so no wrong answer, but I doubt I will never buy another MC with a silver engine.
    Ride safe.