free website stats program Grand Canyon & Monument Valley | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Grand Canyon & Monument Valley

TRY to use Google Earth and follow from 4 corners using hgy, 191 as the point FROM (not going there ,4 corners,but a point of interest I could have done without)... OR LOOK for a route via your air arrival site?

You can DRIVE most of the route by using google earth...Right from your computer... I am amassed !

You can see great Pictures of M.V. but NONE will take your breath away as TRAVELing Live thru by BIKE preferred, Car or RV second.

You will be HUMBLED by the highway OFF 191 that takes you THRU the Monument Valley,,,,, You ARE right there going by and thru, over these Luscious Mountains... I've ridden my bike thru this same route a few years back and MARVAL at the beauty... (gorges views and 191 hgy and connections to other hgy's ARE made to travel by Harley):D

YES even BUBBIE took his Wife and JEEP. Liking the air conditioning when HOT (two weeks ago). Leaving the bike and trailer home:(, Mostly not towed behind the jeep with King inside because the Little covered trailer was getting a new diamond plate roof put on it... OR I would have taken the King out for Nice days that were dry and WARM...

Bike ride Thru the valley and back to the parked jeep would have been NO Problem...

Mind you THIS time of year, the weather can change Right Now.... :(&:D

Just about the time my wife said "Too Bad we didn't Just Ride the Bike".... FLASH-BOOOOOOOM

Talk about RAIN from 5 miles north of "Hole in the Rock" ( going up 191 Ut. a MUST stop and see) up to Moab.... Rain in BUCKETS but to be expected this time of year... I did see SEVERAL bikers out but not when that storm came thru.... Lucky ones were OFF the road and under HARD to find cover seeing it coming...:bigsmiley12:

Utah is full of Cathedrals (mountains), Brice Canyon above Moab Ut. worth the visit.

That mountain valley you travel IN, is so close to their Mt. tops, BEAUTY just TOO Much for me to describe........:small3d031:

(thunder storms ,called Monsoons, are here Now and will be through probably when you arrive)

The later summer into fall is a great time to visit...

Sedona is Beautiful and has a Must travel canyon up thru North to Flagstaff.

WAY over rated as it is commercial. Plan else where to stay. I find the little towns named on the route to give a better $$$ value.. Many Off named or lesser $ motels will run from 50 to 69$ after taxes and IF you are willing you can fine them Much less but I want NOT to take any Little travelers home with me....:panic Been there and done that:newsmile098:

It IS a Must see place BUT IF I had to choose,,,, The big travel thru M. Valley would be my First choice... Going Back today would be NONE too early for a re-visit.:bigsmiley14:

Plan your route to take in ALL you can ,,, It is worth dodging the storms IF Any.

signed....BUBBIE

The later summer into fall is a great time to visit...

Sedona is Beautiful and has a Must travel canyon up thru North to Flagstaff.

I think Bubbie is talking about Oak Creek Canyon and yes, it is a great ride. I have attached a picture I took going through there a few years ago.

Attachments

• 200494_1011828428643_9823_n.jpg
    200494_1011828428643_9823_n.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Grand Canyon etc Trip

So the trips planned - we arrive in Las Vegas 2nd October (Wednesday) and pick up the bike next day (from Eagle Rider). Headed for Sedona for Friday (hotel booked) so looking to stay at Kingman/Seligman area on Thursday. Then into the National Parks for 11 days returning to LV for 2 nights. Hoping that the weather holds.
I'll report when we return.

Many thanks.
We've been to the USA and Canada many times but I didn't think that, at my age, I could get so excited.

If you make your way south a bit from the Grand Canyon and head towards Sedona that is a beautiful ride as well. On the way back west towards Vegas go through Jerome and head towards Kingman and back to Vegas via the Hoover Dam.

Redfish-Joe has you covered on a great ride through the national parks, I have riden all of that on a few occasions and would not even hesitate to take that ride again.
I live in AZ and have ridden these routes many times....for more info send me a PM.

briefly: you should not see any rain, Spring does bring some big WIND, Bryce may be cold (poss snow) depending how early in Spring...Nat Park lodging fills up fast and is expensive - but nice...if you stay on Indian Reservations - you have to bring your own booze...for Monument Valley - I always stay in Mexican Hat at San Juan Inn or Medical Hat Lodge...have fun

Mod note - please do not list email addresses or phone numbers on posts. You may invite unwelcome mail/calls. TQ

Last edited by a moderator:

So the trips planned - we arrive in Las Vegas 2nd October (Wednesday) and pick up the bike next day (from Eagle Rider). Headed for Sedona for Friday (hotel booked) so looking to stay at Kingman/Seligman area on Thursday. Then into the National Parks for 11 days returning to LV for 2 nights. Hoping that the weather holds.
I'll report when we return.

Tank and Goberg have you covered, and check back closer to the date. Who knows, perhaps a bunch of us Arizonans may ride up and meet you.

For ideas, lots of lodging in Kingman just north off I-40 on the old US 66, not so much in Seligman but suggest taking 66 from Kingman to Seligman and stopping at the various wide spots along the road. Seligman is tacky deliberately, the guy who started the whole Route 66 fanfare, Angel Delgadillo, lives there and its well worth the stop at his barber shop/gift store.

Lots of lodging in Flagstaff, both on I-40 and the old Route 66 in town. The south rim of the Grand Canyon should be open and no issues, north rim will be closed. If you are going to Monument Valley, strongly consider continuing north. The cafe at the bridge at Mexican Hat is good.

Head north via Hanksville on 95 and west on 24 to Capital Reef NP and Torrey. Lodging in Torrey (Teasdale on the HOG map) is OK, then take 12 down over Boulder Mt. and through the Escalante area to Bryce Canyon. There are quite a few motels at Rubys Inn (used to be the town's name) right at the entrance to Bryce, but not much in the way of food.

Zion NP is a must-see and since you will be so close, do so. Enjoy the one mile plus tunnel. Lots of motels and restaurants in Springdale at the east entrance.

The graded roads south from Cannonville (see the HOG map) may be drivable but I suggest staying on pavement. A storm can wash out the road in minutes and both wind in and out of canyons and stream beds. The 261 north from Mexican Hat has a 3.5 mile graded section where the road was bulldozed out of the cliff. Word was it is too steep for the paving equipment (its on YouTube, look up "Moqui Dugway".) Its rideable with caution but nothing wrong with riding north to Blanding instead then turning east. While not right on your itinerary, Hwy 89 south of Page is closed due to a landslide and has been closed for several months. Unknown when it will reopen. Also, fill the tank whenever possible, i.e. Hanksville, some of the distances between stations are deceivingly far.

May I suggest reading as much as you can on the area geology? Look up the Grand Staircase and go from there. Navajo NM is good if you like the ancient Indian cultures and you'll be riding right by there.

Enjoy. My avatar photo is of my Dyna in Zion, just after exiting the tunnel.

Last edited:
Back