free website stats program Grand Canyon Loop | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Grand Canyon Loop

Nosaj.....
Sounds like your Utah trip was a blast!!!

Time2cruise and Nosaj, I do have a few questions for ya regarding a route.

First I'll tell ya what I have planned for a trip. There will be two of us going, both on 08/09 Roadglides. We're leaving the Seattle area and doing the Iron Butt 1000 to Reno. After a weekend in Reno, we're headed east. This is where I need your expertise on road surfaces and your opinions......

We're doing Reno to Bryce Canyon via I-50, HWY 21, HWY 20, and HWY 12 into the National Park area.

Then Bryce Canyon to Moab via HWY 12 (A Journey Through Time Byway), HWY 24, and HWY 191 into Moab.

After Moab we're headed north and working our way home.

It's the Utah roads I am concerned about. Can you give me some info on surface conditions and probable weather conditions for this June?

Any additional Route info you guys can give would be appreciated as well!!!

Does anyone else out there have some opinions, ideas, or input.....

Thanks in advance!!!!

Sounds like a great trip. A couple of suggestions and these really depend on the time you have. If you're in a hurry your route will be a good ride. If you time you could do one or both of these alternatives.

Alt 1, when you get to I15 instead of turning off on 20, you could go down to Parowan and take 143 up over the mountain. This route is only open past Brian Head in the summer, but should be open by the time you go. Then when you get to Panguitch you take the route you have planned to Bryce.

From Bryce you're going to be on 12 and the ride is fantastic all the way to Torrey. The scenery changes a bit on 24 but is still great, but completely different all the way into Hanksville.

Alt 2, This is a bit longer but well worth the extra hour or so. Take a right in Hanksville and take 95 through Glen Canyon, Fry Canyon and onto Blanding. From there head north into 191 to Moab. This way is so much more scenic than your current route.

Roads should all be in good shape by then. No matter what way you go, have a blast and ride safe.

Bailey, you've got a great trip ahead of you. I can't comment on the segment from Reno to Bryce. Never been on the route.

The leg from Bryce to Hanksville is a MUST DO, DO NOT MISS! From Boulder to Escalante is one of the best rides in the country. Plan time to do pieces of it a couple times. See my comments from day 4 on my trip report. You will love this.

Also, plan time to take the scenic drive through Capital Reef National Park. If you hit it around sunset, you will be very happy you did. Just note it's a 10 mile road one way. You ride to the end and then ride back on the same route out at less than 30 mph. It's worth the time, just budget for it. There's also great opportunities for hikes if you are interested and have the time.

I agree with time2cruise's comment about going south from Hanksville. I don't know the route you originally intended, but I do know the south route is awesome. The first 40 miles south of Hanksville is flat plateau land. Beyond that it gets very interesting. It adds miles, but they are very good miles.

In fact, if you really have the time, the ride down to Mexican Hat, UT includes a pretty cool ride down the Mogi Dugway. It's fun if you fit it in.

I'm jealous, but not too jealous. In mid-July I'll be doing another awesome ride from salt Lake to Glacier National Park. We liked our ride so much last year that we've talked about doing it again in a few years.

Ride safe and enjoy!
-Nosaj

Thanks guys!!!! I really appreciate the advice!

I made the changes to the route! Sounds like the road from Bryce to Moab, via 12 and 95, and coming from the south is the way to do it! I only hope my memory card in the camera is big enuf for all the sites!

Reno to Bryce is 577 miles, so we'll have to really hump it that day so we can enjoy the sites and road into Bryce.

Again, thanks so much.

nosaj, I wish I was going with you. I guess I'll just have to wait for the pictures. I hope you have a very enjoyable and more importantly a very safe trip.

Bailey,
I just realized we didn't answer your question about the road conditions and weather. The weather should be fine. It may get a little chilly in the evening, but shouldn't be anything to worry about. That said, it's always good to pack an extra layer or two and a pair of gloves just in case.

As for road conditions, I found the roads on our route to be in good shape. I was riding a rental bike, but would have no issues riding my own over the same roads.

Best,
Jason

X2 What Nosaj said. You can never tell what the weather will do so be prepared. Most likely it will be HOT, but rain gear is always a good idea, along with some layers.

Back