free website stats program Grand Canyon Loop | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Grand Canyon Loop

I made this trip twice, 2O and 15 years ago...
My girl fiiend wants to do it, she never went in UT, NM, CO, NV (only Las Vegas in May)
I 'll be at LA (Sunset beach) on Sunday, on Monday PHX (because I have some friends in Sunset Beach and PHX)...after it's open
So if somebody have some other idea...let us know
Just must be on 15th at Modesto to see some friends and go back for some days in Sunset Beach...flight to go home on Sunday 18th...
Sorry, I will be in car for a so long trip...

Hey Everyone,

So I got back from my trip last weekend. Man, what a great ride! We made a few last minute route adjustments to give ourselves a little breathing room and time to enjoy a few stops along the way. Here’s the route that we ultimately followed:

Las Vegas, NV to Las Vegas, NV - Google Maps

We averaged 200 – 250 miles a day. It was a great balance between spending enough time in the saddle to enjoy the ride and enough time out of the saddle to experience the places a bit.

• Day 1: Vegas to the South Rim with a stop at Hoover Dam and a ride along Route 66. The new bridge they are building over the gorge is as cool as the dam itself. We didn’t get out of the rental office in Vegas until 10:30 AM, so the last hour of the day was in pitch black darkness pulling into the Tusayan just south of the Grand Canyon.
  • Day 2: South Rim to Mexican Hat, UT. This included time at the Canyon, and a WINDY trip to Monument Valley. The Canyon is great, and Monument Valley is very cool. The wind left the red sand of the desert permanently imbedded in our gear, skin, teeth, and eyes. Great day.
  • Day 3: Mexican Hat to Torrey, UT. We started with a 1,100 foot climb up the sheer cliff at the Moki Dugway. Awesome gravel switchbacks and great view. Took a side trip to the lookout at Muley Point (fantastic – just be careful riding a bike on the primitive road) and continued through Glen Canyon to Torrey UT. The drive through Glenn Canyon is one of the most majestic I have ever seen. We have some tremendous beauty in this country. This is one of those places. Absolutely Awesome! When we crested the plateau leaving Glen Canyon on our way to Hanksville, UT we learned what real wind is like. 30-50 mph headwind for 30 miles. Wow. The final highlight of this day was the scenic drive through Capitol Reef National Park. We hit it about 1 hour before sunset. One of the most magnificent scenes of natural beauty I have ever seen. The sunset made the colors come alive.
  • Day 4: Torrey UT to Kanab UT: This day included the one of the best rides of my life. The road from Torrey, UT to Escalante, UT includes a section of approximately 3-4 miles where you ride a ridgeline with cliffs dropping away on both sides. The view is incredible and the twisties are exhilarating. When we got to the bottom, we turned around to do it again. I wish I had time to do it 5 or 6 more times. We also hit Bryce Canyon on this day. Bryce is wonderful. It’s my favorite park in this part of the country. You have to see it with your own eyes to appreciate it. There are many 1-2 hr hikes available to let you get a real sense of the place.
  • Day 5: Kanab UT back to Vegas: Our first stop this day was Zion National Park. Zion is just cool. The ride through the park is great including a long tunnel and nice slow-speed twisties, and the hiking available is a highlight of any trip. We were short on time, so we just took the shuttle ride up the canyon and a short hike. Then we went on to Vegas to return the bikes.
We had to cut Sedona (I know ProF, I’m disappointed we cut it, but it was just too far out of the way of the Utah part of the trip). We’ll just have to make it to Sedona on a future trip. The downside of this trip is that we passed through so many places quickly (Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Glenn Canyon, Capital Reef, Bryce, Zion, and others) where you could easily spend a week or more and not get bored. If you love the outdoors and want to hike, take it slower and spend some time at a couple locations. The upside was that we did it all on bikes. The riding was great and the scenery is incomparably majestic.

If you have never been to Southern Utah, you are missing something great in life. Make a point of going. You will be disappointed you didn’t go sooner.

We also had great weather. Not a drop of rain over the entire 5 days. The temps swung from 100 degrees in Vegas and at the Hoover Dam to 25 degrees on the morning when we pulled out of Torrey UT for a 10,000 foot climb to Boulder, UT. Thankfully, we prepared for both hot and cold so we had no problem with temperature.

Thank you to everyone who offered advice. You helped to make our trip better. Stay tuned for our next trip. We have several ideas in mind for next year, including:
A. Maine coast and Nova Scotia
B. Seattle to San Fran along the Pacific Coast Highway
C. Salt Lake to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons
D. Vancouver to Whitehorse
E. …

Ride Safe and Be Happy,
Nosaj

Attachments

• Day02_MonumentValley_06.jpg
    Day02_MonumentValley_06.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Day03_CapitalReef_11.jpg
    Day03_CapitalReef_11.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Day03_MokiDugway_04.jpg
    Day03_MokiDugway_04.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Day03_Monument Valley_03.jpg
    Day03_Monument Valley_03.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Day03_Monument Valley_04.jpg
    Day03_Monument Valley_04.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 52
I lived on the UP of Michigan for 2 years so I know you're only partially kidding. Wife and I moved there from hot and humid North Carolina and quickly learned you better have your boots and winter gear out of the closet by Labor Day!

When and where in the UP? I was in SSM in '67 - '70. Went there from the Atlanta area.

Several years ago I was out of work so my wife and I took 2 similar month long trips and hit many of the same sites. I'll never forget how wonderful it is out there. We had enough time to put in day hikes at the National Parks. We never made reservations and always found a place to stay. High wind was an unexpected hazard.

You mentioned:
A. Maine coast and Nova Scotia
I've taken the trip twice and I would recommend taking the ferry from Bar Harbor. If you have never seen it Acadia Park is a great ride before you cross over. The roads in Nova Scotia are pretty rough in places with patches on top of patches. You should check the USD/CAD exchange rate to get an idea of what it will cost you. The room rates were similar to the Northeast and the food was good and a little more reasonable. The people are wonderful. Very helpful and friendly. The best scenery is the furthest out in Cape Breton.

B. Seattle to San Fran along the Pacific Coast Highway
Another great ride but can be quite cold even in the middle of summer. Try to take a day hike in the Redwood Natl Park. We spent some time in the Russian river area enjoying the local wines.

C. Salt Lake to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons
Good riding. Loud pipes may say lives but the Buffalo in Yellowstone don't care for them. Maybe you could start in Yosemite and take route 50 up to Salt Lake City or route 6 with a detour along the Extraterrestrial Highway to Rachel NV (Area 51) for bragging rights.

Have a great trip - Bob

Wow, that's a great response Bob. Thank you for the suggestions. Looks like you've done a lot of great trips.

I think we have settled on the Nova Scotia trip. Now it's just a matter of working on the route and the timing. I've heard the black flies are terrible there in June & July.

Other people have mentioned the Bar Harbor ferry. I'm going to keep that in mind.

Thanks a lot and ride safe,
Nosaj

I was out of work for 2 years and my wife teaches so we were able to take 2 long trips out West. We stayed off the main roads as much as possible and tried to take in many of the Natl Parks.

The first time I went to NS I took my kids in a pickup and we drove through New Brunswick instead of taking the ferry. The scenery wasn't anything special so I would reccomend the ferry. Its a little pricey but you will save 2 days (1 each way) and the money you would have spent anyway. We took the bridge to PEI but you could skip it if you are short on time.

The second time my wife and I took the same trip but took the ferry this time and rode our Harley. We rode around the whole coast. The coastal scenery in Cape Breton rivals the Pacific Coast highway in my opinion. We never call ahead for reservations but then its just the two of us. I've made a deal with her that we stop at dinner time and pay whatever the going rate is rather than ride half the night for a cheaper rate. Its quieter and slower paced and I think you will enjoy the many small towns and villages.
Bob

Bob, thank you for the advice. I think we will avoid PEI and spend most of our time on Cape Breton. It sounds awesome. I think we'll rent bikes in Boston and ride up to Bar Harbor, ferry across, and then have 3 days in Nova Scotia. What did you think of the southern part of NS (Yarmouth, Shelbourne, Halifax, ...)? Should we spend time there or just head directly to Cape Breton.

Maybe we'll fly to Halifax and rent there. How much time would you suggest for NS. We'll spend most of the time cruising easy, but we do like to get off the bikes and do a little hiking too.

Thanks for all your insight.

I think we devoted 9 days for the whole trip. We trailored from New Jersey. We also spent a half day in Camden just south of Bar Harbor and tried to take a more scenic trip back rather than 95. We spent a good 6 days in NS and we tried to hug the coast as much as possible. I thought the northeastern portion above Port Hawkesbury was the best. The southern portion between Halifax and Cape Breton was nice too. We didn't spend anytime in Acadia Park as I've been several times so you would want to spend some time there if you haven't seen it. Definitely get other opinions. Sounds like a great trip.
Bob

As of Jan 2010 the ferrys from Maine will stop running to NS. We have a trip in the works and just found this out.

Thanks for the info Jerry.

We're actually debating our route now. May be NS. May be Salt Lake to Yellowstone. Either way, I'll post the details when it happens.

Best,
Nosaj

Back