free website stats program Grand Canyon Loop | Harley Davidson Forums

Grand Canyon Loop

nosaj

A buddy and I are leaving in a week for a 5 day ride out of Vegas. We're renting Heritages in Vegas and taking a route that has the following highlights:

Hoover Dam
Oatman, AZ
Route 66
Sedona
Meteor Crater
Grand Canyon
Monument Valley
Moki Dugway
Canyonlands
Bryce Canyon
Zion

With a lot of great roads along the way.

We'd like to do more, but we're locked into 5 days. I think this is a pretty aggressive route for 5 days. If you've been on a similar trip or are familiar with the area, I'd love to hear your opinion, advice, "Must See" sights, or hotel recommendations.

If you hit Canyonlands make sure you drive through Arches, way more interesting and scenic than Canyonlands. One of the nicest drives in that area (Bryce) is HWY 12 North through Escalante to Capital Reef, rated in the top three in nation by Car and Driver.

Glen

Thanks Glen. Route 12 is on the plan. Looking forward to that day. We're going to try to stretch it up to Arches. I've heard that from a couple people. Just not sure if we can fit it and still make our plane home.

Ditto on the Arches if you can fit it in. We took a 1,000 mile ride in June that included Canyonlands and loved it. From Moab you can go about a 1/2 hour north on hwy 191, west on I-70 and south on hwy 24 to hwy 12. This will take you through some terrific mountain ranges with virtually no traffic and drop you right in on Bryce. We found reasonable accommodations at the Best Western Canyonlands, if you stay the night in Moab. There is a great brew-pub/restaurant on the south end of town. Have a great ride.

Don't forget, even at this time of year it's going to be a LOT hotter where you're going than what you're used to in Minnesota. Be very aggressive about stating hydrated and watch diligently for signs of heat fatigue. Sunscreen, chapstix, blah, blah.....you get the idea.

Oh, be sure and take some pictures for us!

Maysfly & Doc, I'll give a recap when we get back. I know this is going to be a great one.

PS, why do people think it's so cold up here? We've got at least one more week before the snow flies.

Seriously, it's good advice on the hydration and sunscreen. Thanks

Maysfly & Doc, I'll give a recap when we get back. I know this is going to be a great one.

PS, why do people think it's so cold up here? We've got at least one more week before the snow flies.

Seriously, it's good advice on the hydration and sunscreen. Thanks

I lived on the UP of Michigan for 2 years so I know you're only partially kidding. Wife and I moved there from hot and humid North Carolina and quickly learned you better have your boots and winter gear out of the closet by Labor Day!

We did Canyonlands, Arches, National Bridges, Zion's, Bryce Canyon, and the Grand Canyon (north rim) this spring. We did 2000 miles in 7 days. Fantastic trip, but you're right, 5 days is a very aggressive schedule for your trip, but it can be done. You will be on the bike A LOT. Canyonlands and Arches are way north from where you'll be starting and ending. I'm very familiar with these areas if you need any help with possible routes.

Be prepared for any type of weather. Yes, it could be really hot, but we're getting a lot of rain this time of year also. Snow is not out of the question either at any given time.

Back