free website stats program gps/zumo 660 | Harley Davidson Forums

gps/zumo 660

glimmerman

bought this gps because the car model didn't quite cut it on the bike. gf was holding it and somehow? we always made a wrong turn or missed the turn, DUH! now i'm looking in my service manual and i can't find the orange/white-black wires marked 29B on the wiring diagrams. any help here BEFORE i tear into this will be greatly appreciated. i took out the air temp gauge and put in the oil temp on the ultra here if that is any help towards steering me in the right direction. thanks, kev.

Glimmerman, I spent a lot of time trying to find those wires when I installed mine recently. Turns out they are taped to the harness that leads to the headlight. Are you installing the navigational interface also? If so, make sure the connections in all the way.

thanks, i'll check there. i was looking in the service manual and can't find them listed. navigational interface to what? it is supposed to hook into the radio and tell a rider where to turn or whatever. fairing mount instructions was all the further i got. better rtm so i won't be zigzaging all over. thanks for the tip on the wires. not sure if i need the optional wiring harness with split connector (items D & E, purchased separately) which i will probably have to order.

You have to get the optional navigation interface module if you want to hear the directions through the stereo. If you want to use the mp3 portion of the Zumo however, you still have to plug it into the Aux input. The interface does provide a jack so you can just run the wire out of the handlebar opening to the jack. It is nice to be able to listen to the stereo and also hear the directions through the speakers.

The instructions that come with the Zumo are somewhat confusing about the "29B" connector, and the service manual doesn't show the connectors as 29B either. It's like the tech writers made up the name without looking at the H-D wiring schematics. I finally had to sit down with the wiring schematics and trace the wiring colors mentioned in the instructions until I could find the connectors.

Good luck with your install!

looks to me like the wires are for the hid headlight which makes sense. i'm gonna check out the manual some more before i dive in and end up to my ears in alligators. thanks, kev.

ok, so i'm ready to upload the disc into the 'puter and get started on this zumo thing. have to get updates and now i'm following the prompts to register my unit. install battery and connect unit to 'puter. no battery! tear box apart, look in saddlebags, tear into box for mounting hardware. no battery! well now i'm about falling out of my chair 'cause there's no room. there are 2 of me because i'm beside myself. checking time, i find i can call kansas, speak to dorothy and the dog and get a battery. make call, phone is dying so i run to get the extention. after 20 minutes of press 1, press 2, i get a person and i only have to wait a week. took all info, s/n, receipt no., date, time of purchase, etc. life is indeed wonderful.

Kinda reminds you of the "dangling carrot" when you were a kid. Opening up a Christmas present and after tearing into the packaging, you read the in the instructions "...some assembly required, batteries not included..." :)

wonder of wonders. battery in the mail today. and its charged. so tomorrow or sunday i'll get all zumo-ed up and check it out. postal carrier, a cute blonde had a smile and a treat for the dogs. usps can't be all bad even if it cost 50 cents to mail a letter.

Back