free website stats program GPS, where to hard wire? | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS, where to hard wire?

John N

Hello every one i need some help, i have an 2007 flstc i just bought a gps unit the zumo 550 from garmin , i was wondering where would be the best place to hard wire the cradle/mount or tie it in to, other then stright to the battire. i was thinking the passing light toggle switch ?
thanks for the help , John N.

i was thinking the passing light toggle switch ?

The GPS draws very little amps , it should not be a problem. I would suggest an inline 1-2 amp fuse holder in a conventient spot just in case

John...whats the verdict on the ZUMO?? Have you had a chance to get some use? Why this product? I'm looking at this vs a TOM TOM rider 2

I chose the zumo, 1 reason i like garmin products and a lot of my friends have them, also it comes with all the hardwere you need to hook it to your car or motorcycle, wireing and mounts +all the usb cables cables you will need,
its has lots of features and is very easy to use , very sturdy product

do you have a aux switch next to the passing light toggle switch i have one thats why im asking dealer told me if i wanted a gps it would be the perfect spot for hook up as from the factory on my bike its empty

the only aux switch on the flstc is tied in to the iginition switch on the gas tank :( so i think ill have to go for the passing toggle switch or stright to the battire if the toggle switch is to hard to get to and remove.

John, I ran a aux power plug (waterproof) direct from the battery, under the tank, up thru the center of my tripple tree with all the other wires and riveted it to the side of my windshield bag. I put a small inline fuse down under my seat the same size as my other fuses. I also added a quick release up by my bag so I can still remove the windshield. I coil up my power cord inside my windshield bag and leave it attached to the unit and just pull out the end and plug it in when the unit needs charging. This way I have power for other things too like the cell when I'm on a trip. I just did a 2300 mile 6 day run and it worked perfectly. The whole project cost me maybe $15 and took about an hour.

Back