free website stats program GPS Power on Fatboy | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS Power on Fatboy

The HD kit looks like a great option.
I called my dealer to check on them and they found the parts needed.
So all on order.

I wonder if there is a way to attach some magnets to a USB cable.
The GPS uses a USB to power like most things these days.

So my thought was to get a basic 12v USB adapter something like this

wol_error.gif
Click this bar to view the small image.
tn844s3.jpg

Then get a long enough USB and add some magnets, then I can just run the cable along the frame / tank when the GPS is on the bike.
Yank it off and store when done.

Perhaps a few of these:

KJ Magnetics - Products

And Ziptie the cable to the magnets.

I have a slightly more compact usb 12v charger that i use slips right in to the cigar lighter socket and has 1 usb port for charging if you shop around on ebay you should find them for a very low price i use it in the car along with a long usb cable as i hate the coil ones and have my phone which runs windows 6.5 and tomtom navigator 7 for both calls and navigation
on the bike phone is in the saddlebag and i use a paper map but i can find my way round this country and most of north europe without a map
i do charge my phone using a short lead with a cigar lighter socket on one end and a connector to my battery charger pigtail on the other
wee magnets with zip ties for fast fitting and removal should work ok
personally i would go to local recycle centre and see if there was an old fridge there and take the magnetic seal out of the door as it already has a protective cover on it

Brian

I ordered a second car charging cable for my Nuvi. I then cut the cigarette plug off of it, soldered a fuse on, and soldered the assembly into the headlight power wire. Easy, and clean.

IMG_0042.jpg

wee magnets with zip ties for fast fitting and removal should work ok
personally i would go to local recycle centre and see if there was an old fridge there and take the magnetic seal out of the door as it already has a protective cover on it

Brian

That is a great idea about re-using the fridge magnet.
-I just hope my lights don't turn off when the USB closes -- :p

If I can't find the recycle option I will glue fabric to the magnets as a protection.

Ordered GPS mount yesterday - Brake / Clutch mount system
Brake/Clutch Reservoir U-Bolt Motorcycle Mount - RAM Mount

I ordered a second car charging cable for my Nuvi. I then cut the cigarette plug off of it, soldered a fuse on, and soldered the assembly into the headlight power wire. Easy, and clean.

IMG_0042.jpg

nice install, i have the same nuvi but thought the power dropped to 5V through the cigarette plug. guess i was told wrong. thanks for the info now i will change the plan:D:D

nice install, i have the same nuvi but thought the power dropped to 5V through the cigarette plug. guess i was told wrong. thanks for the info now i will change the plan:D:D

If the unit needs 5 volts then the charger will reduce the 12v to 5v if you connect directly to the 12v system you may end up with a box full of burnt out components fairly quickly

Brian

If the unit needs 5 volts then the charger will reduce the 12v to 5v if you connect directly to the 12v system you may end up with a box full of burnt out components fairly quickly

Brian

doing some checking on it now Brian, would be nice to be able to cut of that big cumbersome plug though.:bigsmiley23:

Brian

doing some checking on it now Brian, would be nice to be able to cut of that big cumbersome plug though.:bigsmiley23:

ok back to plan A. better safe than sorry, looks like it is 5v

I found an inexpensive power adapter outlet with a water resistance cover from an automotive store and retrofit it to one of the handlebar bracket mounting bolts. I ran the power feed into the headlight bucket and found "accessory" power in there and soldered my wires to it. I used the accessory feed because I want the power to the power outlet to go off with the key to prevent battery drain.

I use this power outlet for my Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS with the RAM bracket. The RAM bracket is excellent.

ok back to plan A. better safe than sorry, looks like it is 5v

Big ugly power adaptor is better looking than smoke escaping from the sat nav, as i am sure you are aware once the smoke escapes from the electronics you cant get it back in there :p

Brian

Back