GPS or Phone In Cigarette Lighter?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Dr. Dolittle, Sep 22, 2008.

  1. Dr. Dolittle

    Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

    6,396
    98
    17
    My 2008 FLHX owner's manual states:

    "The lighter is not intended to be used as a power port for electrical devices. Damage to the lighter receptacle may occur."

    I'm not an electrician so I can't make any sense of the service manual wiring diagrams and I can't find any info about the lighter's capacity. Is the manual talking about electrical damage or physical damage to the actual receptacle because it's not very sturdy?

    It's 12 volt DC right? Same as the cigarette lighter in a car right? Any reason I can't plug a GPS or cell phone into it if I don't want to go through the trouble of hard wiring these items somewhere?

    What is the HD power port all about? Just a stouter built version of the lighter?

    Thanks - like I said I'm not an electrician if you haven't figured that out yet!
     
  2. Lancer

    Lancer Junior Member

    495
    28
    2
    Hi Doc,
    I used the lighter outlet for a while before I put in a dual outlet, one for the Sirius, and one for the radar detector. I had no problems at all electrically, except be careful turning the wheel all the way left, whatever you have plugged in can hit the gas tank and get damaged or the tank scratched.
     
  3. Dr. Dolittle

    Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

    6,396
    98
    17
    Lancer, Smitty - thanks guys! I had a feeling it wouldn't be a big deal to run something in there just like a car. HD lawyers probably made them add that paragraph for just what Lancer mentioned.
     
  4. NEWHD74FAN

    NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

    8,176
    98
    16
    You are correct. It is probably for liability reasons. The "Cigarette Lighter Receptacle" is the one with white ceramic insulator so it will not burn; whereas an "Accessory Outlet" uses bakelite, fiberglass or similar material, which may scorch.

    If you install an outlet, make sure you fuse it properly (15A) & use ceramic insulator type just in case someone plugs in a pop out lighter in it, not knowing the difference.:bigsmiley28: