free website stats program GPS Options | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS Options

Duane53, here I thought I was alone with the backseat GPS option. So, I put a Cig/usb charger in the saddle bag of my Heritage and my wife can play with her phone and keep us on track.

For those riding front fairing bikes, you can plug your GPS into an unused 12v. source and ground behind or near the headlight. Remove the front fairing and look in that area and you'll see two wires, one with black end and one with red end. My 550 Garmin plugged right into those wires on both my 2008 UG and now my 2012 Limited. Then it has power depending on position of the ignition switch. Used the same method on friend's bike too so check it out.

I have a 3 year old Nuvi mounted on the left handlebar of my '04 Classic using a Ram mount with power from the cigarette lighter socket. It sits in behind the windshield so it is fairly well protected from the elements.
I have a homemade sun shield which works fairly well.
Polarized sunglasses definitely reduce visibility.
Overall I am pretty happy with this arrangement and it beats the stupid pricing of the new HD system, plus I can use the GPS in other vehicles.
I had an early HD Roadtech way back in 2006, including the special HD fairing mount bracket. It cost big money and worked pretty good for about a year until the power supply connections from the mount bracket became intermittent. That whole thing sits in a box in the basement now!

Rod

Other benefits (IMO) for aftermarket GPS units are; The ability to take it in the house or motel and add routes and play with other features. GPS units get dated in just a couple of years. I can buy new feature packed units for $125 and up. I can use my handlebar unit in the car, and my favorites are right there.

Back