free website stats program GPS on Electra glide | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS on Electra glide

Nathan1975

Hi, first time posting here but looks to be a great forum with a ton of information available. Has any body had any experience with a GPS on a bike? I was looking at the Garmin Zumo 450 to go on a 07 Electra glide. Im looking to travel cross country this year and felt it would be a worthwile addition. Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, first time posting here but looks to be a great forum with a ton of information available. Has any body had any experience with a GPS on a bike?

I use the Garmin Quest...very small and compact...screen is very small...but I never look at the screen..I listen to the direction with a ear piece...Keeps me from taking my eyes off the road. The Garmin Quest...and the Harley Road Tech part number 92319-06....cost 849.00....features all the Harley dealers....Garmin Quest is the same unit w/o the Harley dealers..We got the Garmin Quest online for 279.00( it was brand new)..only thing with the Garmin we purchased we were not eligible for the free upgrade for 2008..so that cost me another 89.00 dollars...Good Luck...BTW ...we love all the back roads...so if you program in a certain place and take a back road..it will still take you to you destination...

I bought a Garmin Zumo 550 kit last year for touring Europe and found it an excellent piece of kit, although not without some annoying issues. I would have preferred the 450 ( no bluetooth) but wasn't available in the UK at the time.
Will be getting the Touratech mount for it soon as the Road King is a bit jumpy through the bars but otherwise go for it! :bigsmiley12:

zumo_verriegeln.gif

Last edited:
I agree! I have used them to find certain businesses in cities I have never been in, however, I have never been lost with a good old fashion map...

I suppose we have different reasons to have gps's. Personally I don't use one to see where I'm going...but how to return...sounds a bit crazy I guess..Let me explain...we use the POI (points of Interrest ) option the most. for instance we have gotten a disc from a friend of "cover Bridges" Iowa .Missouri ,and Illinois...So we select Avoidances > interstates and toll roads. This take on some of the most scenic back roads you could ever imagine ..stuff ya can't find on a map. Also we will be riding and see a road that looks interesting ...instead of saying ..Hmm wonder where that goes..we just go..never get lost coz then we will put in the hotel where we might be staying and wha lah ..takes ya back..also I have a tuff time folding and unfolding maps...also its hard for me to read a map..prints too freakin small...lol ... So there is much more to a GPS then just simple directions..and Nooooo I don't sell em...lol

Exactly Fourdogs, GPS units are good for a lot of things. I've used them to find out what food places are around and I've done like you and load points of interest (like wineries or brewpubs) in to the unit so I can find them all where ever I'm at. And yes they will find your way home if you decide to go off on a side road to explore.

I'm trying to decide if I can use my car GPS on my bike. It is a Garmin Street Pilot 550. I need to figure a way to mount it somewhere. Or I guess my wife can handle it when needed.

Hi, first time posting here but looks to be a great forum with a ton of information available. Has any body had any experience with a GPS on a bike? I was looking at the Garmin Zumo 450 to go on a 07 Electra glide. Im looking to travel cross country this year and felt it would be a worthwile addition. Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Eh????
Let me see. You're on you bike... Travelling a long distance. The weather I presume is good. You're lost????????....... Now you lost me. Why would you want to know the exact route?
:bigsmiley24:

Dark Knight, if your unit's cradle has the standard 4 hole AMPS mounting, you can use the RAM diamond base (RAM-A-238) to mount the cradle. Then, use any of the RAM motorcycle mounting systems. I use the brake/clutch base (RAM-B-309-1U) which goes on either handlebar control units. Don't forget the connector that goes between the previous two parts (RAM-A-201).

Back