free website stats program GPS mounting position | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS mounting position

RJ...don't get that thirsty riding those many miles...but getting lost, that would be a problem!!! :newsmile075:

I too prefer the GPS on the left...drinks...before or after the ride only LOL! Water bottles in the saddlebags to keep'em cool! :small3d007:

I use a regular garmin gps. I purchased a 14 dollar post/ball made of aluminum on ebay.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTORCYCLE-WINDSHIELD-GPS-BALL-MOUNT-FITS-GARMIN-NUVI-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19be33089eQQitemZ110565197982QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories it bolts to the fairing or windshield and i hard wired the gps to the aux switch with a 5 volt regulator. Much more cost effective for my purposes. I have the garmin 205 gps. 100 bucks. That frees up 600 for other things.......:57:
21aa04ea611b1ad96233253d8d129011_4785.jpg

While I was waiting for my handlebar mount to arrive, I used my Garmin suction cup mount on the tachometer face. Slightly off set, I could still see the tach up to about 3k. It worked well there, but didn't really look that nice.
One thing I did notice was less glare in that position. Now it's mounted to the left h-bar like most.

I use the ram mounts hardware for the GPS (right side) and the Chatterbox on the left side. They have different length arms. I can move the GPS to my car in 30 seconds just by loosening the clamp.

20091225_0007.jpg

20091225_0008.jpg

20091225_0011.jpg

I figured I would post this here.May sound dumb to those that have them,but I am going to mount my GPS tommorow using the ram mount (I have had it for a year so it is about time) Does the GPS not cut down on the proper accoustic flow of the stereo speakers? I have sat with the ram hardware and the GPS in hand and I have positioned them every way and it still seems to deflect the sound.I like my music when I am riding and I don't want it distorted.
You know Steve, I never really notice any depreciation in sound quality at all and I too, like my music whilst riding.

Steve,

I would think on the Classic with only the two front speakers you may have a bit of sound blocked by the unit. With my Ram mount, I tried to mount it down further on the bar to help this problem, but I think on the Ultras the rear speakers help. The beauty of the Ram is that the ball doesn't have to be verticle for the mount to be just as effective. I also mounted mine further down to keep it somewhat out of the wind (and rain or rocks).

Maybe BigLew will chime in.

Looks like I will haver to give RAM mounts a call tomorrow AM. They seem to have many mounts available.
I would like to keep my cup hulder on the clutch side and then mound the GPS on that side as well. Any one have part numbers from RAM that will do this

Side note: This is really what is great about this site as there is no need to re invent the wheel as some on this site has already done so. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

This is where I got mine They have a good selection and prices. Cycle Gadgets This page lets you pick your device and configure the mount and arm for your needs.

I have been using a GPS mount from Kuryakyn on my 07 Street Glide with a Zumo for the past 3 years. It replaces the gas cap cover so it is mounted in the middle allowing you to use either hand and since it is in the middle I feel it is in a better spot for viewing. I just bought a 2010 SG which has a different size top covering the gas cap so I will need to buy a mount.

SGHarley

Back