free website stats program GPS good/bad ? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS good/bad ?

I have scoffed at every GPS post,but I was offered a deal I couldn't turn down on a Tom Tom riderII,so I bought it,don't know if I am going to like it,but what the heck it is worth a shot!

No worries Steve, they'll grow on you...I really was used to AAA Travel Tix for long trips and Thomas Guide for the rest before the GPS...! Figured truck drivers who drove for a living knew the best way to get around.

Based on this, I forsee the next generation will be one that can optimize your list of stops over a long serial loop...I believe the major delivery carriers like UPS & FedEx probably have that technology in their trucks already and hopefully storage of the most used routes...maybe on a removable stick that plugs into the GPS...can always wish anyways.

Last edited:
I think the latest GPS technology has already adopt voice commander to replace "eye sight" into "ear-hearing". Latest Garmin loaded with btooth earset will lead you to the designated destination by following voice commander provided. The one special designed for motorcycle (waterproof) is available in the market now. Just install in my "dashboard pouch", plug in the btooth earset, and there you go....

Come on guys get with the technology ...have had a Garmin Zumo on my bike for 3 years now... would not go anywhere without it. Last week-end wife and I took a 1000 mile ride through the mountains of West Virginia, places where you can safely hide if the IRS or someone may be looking for you....places I have never heard of or been before. The comfort of knowing when my gas light comes on..... hit the find fuel button and the GPS takes me right to the station without the worry of stopping and asking or worst running out in a strange place. We like riding the mountains roads and I like the picture of the road on the screen and can see when a really hard curve or switchback is coming up... signal the wife behind me and she hits those curves like a pro...

i keep a cheap garmin in the tour pak, for gettin home mostly,
its the 100.00 or so car one, 2 years old, put it in a zip lock if raining,
i just stick the suction cup right to the tachometer and go, plug into the lighter.

used it once or twice, turned the volume up loud and heard the chick clear as day

We made a short trim this week without the gps... We starrted back home The wife said "I sure miss the lady talking to us"
:cheers "There's no place I'd rather be than right here Red necks White Socks and Blue Ribbon beer"

To be sure the GPS is a great asset but it is not without its faults. Sometimes at busy intersections or cities I find it spends a lot of time "recalculating". This can be maddening when you need it most and just passed where you were supposed to turn.:( This has happened to me many times. Still, you can't beat it when you are out there in the hinterlands after riding aimlessly all day and you just want to get home without the hassle of getting off the bike and digging out a map. Just hit "find home" and it will get you there eventually. At night or by day it is a reassuring companion of sorts.
When you find yourself argueing with the GPS, it's time to turn it off!:lolrolling

Based on this, I forsee the next generation will be one that can optimize your list of stops over a long serial loop......maybe on a removable stick that plugs into the GPS...can always wish anyways.

With the Garmin (2720) I can design about any kind of routes with as many stops as I want at home on my laptop & download into the 2720 when ready to travel. This was real handy on the Central Calif. Hwy 49, 104, 395, 49 loop I rode in August. We made several changes along the way without any problems. I especially liked starting at the motel in Sonora one morning, entered into the gps a cafe for breakfast & specified "shortest" route. It took us down back streets & back alleys, much to the amusement of my gps hating buddy following behind who figured the gps had failed until we pulled up in front of the cafe.

I have a Zumo 550 with the GXM antenna reciever for Xm radio. I love the whole setup, and after the first few days you don't fidgit with it so much. I have an audio line from the Zumo to the aux on the radio so all gps audio go through the radio.
kemo
This sounds like a nice set up- I would like to have both XM and GPS but did not want things on both side of the handlebars. So,an I'm right that with this set up you have to have the GPS mounted to listen to the XM and the XM goes thru the GPS?

Back