free website stats program GPS good/bad ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS good/bad ?

I have a Garmin Nuvi 765T that I mounted on a RAM mount with the aqua box. It's a little bulky but you would have a hard time taking it away from me. The 765T has a MP3 player as well as a FM transmitter so all of the music and driving directions come through the speakers. I really like to preplan my routes on roads and country I have never been before on the internet and then download the route to the GPS unit. For me, it makes the ride that much more relaxing knowing that I can concentrate on riding and not about the sign I just passed and couldn't quite read.

They may not be for all but, it is definately for me :D

I use my inexpensive Tom Tom as a fallback. Primarily I like the old school map and/or hand written directions in the window of my tank bag. GPS stays in my saddlebags unless absolutely needed.

I use a tom-tom with a Ram mount. I think that Ram mounts make mounts for most GPS and other electronics. Check them out on Ram-mounts.com.

The Garmin Zumo 550 works very well for me. I have mine mounted on the handlebar, and it is easy to glance at it while following a route without being too distracted. If it were mounted on the tank as I have seen done before, I wouldn't want to take my eyes that far off of the road unless stopped.

I have a Nuvi 660 that I use in my car, my 05 Goldwing, and my 09 Road Glide. I use a ram mount to place it on the bikes so it is just below my line of sight. That way I don't have to take my eyes off the road for more than a second or two. It's great for finding hotels, restaurants, landmarks, etc. on unfamiliar roads. I use an old fashioned map at night to get the big picture on where I'm going and to program in where I want to go the next day. The only drawback with my unit is that it isn't water proof. When showers come, I cover it with a plastic sandwich bag.

Being lost in the middle of a large city with multiple intersecting freeways is not part of the fun nor is looking for an address in a strange city is. GPS saves the day.

I use a Tom Tom Rider and I like it a lot. The headset in my helmet means I never really have to look at the screen. I don't have to worry about when the next turn is coming up on roads I am not familiar with. I can concentrate on riding and enjoying the countryside without the need of maps.

I've used one on my bike for 3 years now. But, I don't usually use it to get me to my destination. Most of the time it's used to find gas, food, etc. I have used it a couple of times to find the most direct route home when it got late in the day and I didn't have time to 'wander' back. Did this in Myrtle Beach this year. We took a long ride westward and spent too much time getting there. Had to hustle to get back to MB to take the girls to dinner. I also used it to find Privateers Harley Davidson in Nova Scotia last year.
My new GPS is blue tooth capable and can be connected to my Chatterbox headset so I wouldn't even have to look at it if I did it that way.

I use a Ram Mounts handlebar mount. This puts it right next to the tach so glancing down at it isn't too much different than looking at gauges. It can be moved to the car in about 1 minute.

Last edited:
I use my GPS extensively. I find it rueduces the stress of trying to find exits, and being in the correct lane when they come up. Without the GPS, I would hve to stop periodically to figure out where I was and check the map. Now I can cover 1000 miles in a day and only check the map at night.

Whoa Biglew,
You're a real die hard eh? 1000 miles in a day. That doesn't sound easy, or enjoyable to me. But maybe because I ride a Deuce and couldn't stay in the saddle that long if I wanted to. :newsmile07:

Back