free website stats program GPS good/bad ? | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS good/bad ?

DynaBike

I have become spoiled over the years having a GPS in my car. I'm considering buying an aftermarket mount to put my Nuvi on my handlebars. The only thing that's stopping me is knowing that it's just one more distraction that takes your eyes off the road, even if only for a few seconds. Knowing that, I have also considered adding a tank pouch and sliding it in there so if necessary, I can just pull over and check my route from time to time while stopped. Any opinions on GPS... good or bad idea ?

i was a little hesitant about the safety factor also. I don't have it mounted all the time though. most the time i want to get lost. when i do need it i pull it out of the tour pak and go. i dont mess with the thing while riding though, just get my coarse set then ride. just keep your priorities in check, and dont mess with it in traffic. some people cant chew gum and walk, you need to answer this yourself. might wanna rig it up temporarily and see if you like having it there. again 99% of the time its in a bag right next to my map. they are handy when you need it that's for sure.

I think it all depends on how you use it. Most of the time, mine is just on. I glance at the display to check my speed, but rarely use it to check directions. When the latter is happening, I am extra vigilant not to have the unit distract me from the road. If the directions it's giving are that complicated, I'll pull off, review, and go back on the road. As one post put it, there are some who can't chew gum and drive at the same time. Most of the time, using a GPS is not unlike checking your gauges.

I too, enjoy getting lost and finding new roads and ways home, I guess it would be a nice feature to have if your getting low on fuel or need a rest stop and want to look up the nearest place. My friend has one on his bike and he usually peeks at it from time to time while riding. I look at it as another computer taking away my ability to think for myself and figure my way. I use one in my car if I'm going some place new and in a hurry, or on a road trip with the family and need that restaurant info. But for me and my bike, the freedom of the open road is what it's all about.

I was also considering using mine for trips and such but was curious if the vibration from the bike would be harmful to the unit that I use in my truck.

I have a Zumo 550 with the GXM antenna reciever for Xm radio. I love the whole setup, and after the first few days you don't fidgit with it so much. I have an audio line from the Zumo to the aux on the radio so all gps audio go through the radio.
kemo

I have a Garmin 2830 and love it. I use it in my car and on the scooter. Had it on for 2 years with no problems.

I have a GPS for over a year now. Use it when I have a route with a lot of turns to stay on certain roads. use it to find gas, lodging, food when I want to find them now. Use it to tell how far it is someplace to see if I want to go that way. Wouldn't go back to not having one. Added a mount for it to my Dyna so now have it available for both bikes.

I have a Garman Nuvi that I take sometimes w/me... I found a mount on the internet that mounts to the handlebars. I think it is really made for a bicycle, but it works great on the bike... the mount stay's in place & the GPS is easily removed if you go into a resturant ect... the craddle is simular to the one that mounts to the windshield of the car except it mounts to the bars instead... around $20.00...

I use a Garmin 2720 for road trips when I'm planning to take back roads. During the times when I don't need it I just turn it off then a flick of the switch brings me the info I need.
DSCN0009.gif

Back