free website stats program GPS Connections | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS Connections

lowrider1963

I have a motorcycle mount for my GPS that works great for road trips. However, I want to connect to my battery to avoid draining the GPS battery on long trips. I have the HD 12V connector that plugs into the auxiliary plug under my seat. My question is how to connect (plug in charger?) since there is not much room under the seat. Looking for options that others may have used with success. Riding 2010 FXDC

Thanks

I thought the Aux plug connection was switched, but if not you can use a relay if current is going to be more than 5A or so (GPS probably only draws 1A or so) by hooking up separate fused wire pair connection up to your 12V outlet connector. Do you have a service manual and schematic to assist?

I purchased a second car power cord for my GPS, then cut the end off it, soldered on a fuse holder and wired it into y aux power harness under the seat.
The wire runs along the frame rail under the tank, and follows the stock harness up to the switches on the handle bar. You can just see the wire on the right.

20091225_0007.jpg

Last edited:
I have a motorcycle mount for my GPS that works great for road trips. However, I want to connect to my battery to avoid draining the GPS battery on long trips. I have the HD 12V connector that plugs into the auxiliary plug under my seat. My question is how to connect (plug in charger?) since there is not much room under the seat. Looking for options that others may have used with success. Riding 2010 FXDC

Thanks

On my Ultra, I got a two lead pigtail set and added a fuse holder on one side. Wired this to the back side of the cig lighter in the fairing, ran the wires along the handle bars on the left side and put the other halve of the connector on the gps motorcycle mount. I put the gps into it's mount, clamp it to the ram mount on the handlebars and plug in the connector, all done!:s

deucedog
Since most GPS run on 5VDC and the output of the auxiliary connector is 12VDC, did you have any problems with overpowering your GPS?

Lowrider1963, easiest way is to use a built in voltage reducer/adapter cigarlighter to USB plug in, so there is less risk of putting the wrong voltage into your GPS or other powered accessory. For instance, the TOM-TOM that I have has 12V Accessory plug (3AG fuse in the plug) the opposite end has USB socket, and I used a short 2' USB cable to my GPS...so voltage/current selection is already done.

newhd74fan
I have a charger that plugs into a cigarette socket (have HD auxiliary adapter to plug it into), but three is not much room under my seat for both connectors. This is why I am trying to find an alternative way to connect to my GPS.

Check out Küryakyn, they have a covered 12V Power Point that is a rugged handle bar mount in chrome that would mount nicely...use secure mating connectors that have a waterproof boot or rtv to seal covers from moisture. I would also mount it on the left close in to the steerer. It can even run a "true" cigarette lighter if you fuse it and do not have other accessories on when you use it (they can easily draw 15-20A) so a direct battery connection with fuse is probably better if you use it as such.

Attachments

• Handlebar Electrical Power Point-1423-21HD-0408.pdf
    133.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back