free website stats program Got to test ride a 2010 ulta classic, my reviews | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Got to test ride a 2010 ulta classic, my reviews

That would seem obvious to me also and if you bought a Harley touring bike intending to leave people in your dust at stoplights, I think you bought the wrong bike.

I truly do understand why SOME people need to do a Stage I upgrade - lots of 2 up riding or riding heavily loaded (the bike, not the rider) a lot. High altitude cruising. But what really gets me is how many people I see posting here or talking at the dealership about how they NEED to do a Stage I on their bike. I sometimes get the impression that they really believe their motor will melt out of the frame if they don't add some fuel or their bike will be unrideable in normal traffic without the extra power from the Stage I.

If you want to do a Stage I on your bike, hey, it's your bike and your money. But don't try to justify it to me by saying the bike's a piece of junk off the showroom floor. Someday, I might do one when the house updates are done, kids out of college, etc, etc but for now I love the way my bike rides. Guess I just have low standards.
I dont think you have low standards or expectations. Some people cant leave there bikes stock, they always want or need more. The stock bikes are getting to be rare IMO:D

I do n0ot believe STOCK bikes are rare at all. I do believe that a lot of the stockers are out on the road and not on forums so much.

I do n0ot believe STOCK bikes are rare at all. I do believe that a lot of the stockers are out on the road and not on forums so much.

Now that is probably a very accurate statement. :s

It's kinda hard for us forum junkies to believe that some people own Harleys and just ride them, no interest in anything else. :( Some don't even ride them, just own them, garage jewelry.
I like to fix whatever possible that I own (cheap). I have been to TV, swimming pool, photography, auto and other forums. They have members with thousands of posts just like we do! I ask my newbie question, get my answer (often condesending), and never return. Sorta like we see here.:D
"sorta like we see here refers to non returning posters, NOT condesending answers".

Last edited:
well today at local dealership they let owners ride any 2010 in stock for free no strings attached, i currently own a 2005 road king, with fuel in jected twin88b motor, now with that said, i got on a 2010 ultra with every little thing you could we want on one, first and foremost, i'm 6'2" tall ,the foot fairngs are way to close to my feet when shifting, i felt cramped up on the bike itself, the seat that comes stock on them accomadates about a 5'9" person, i was really setting on the gas tank . The way the bike handle was superb! easy cornering even got the bike up to 94 mph on highway, the general manager was riding a 2004 roadking, i couldn't keep up with him at all, now for the big 96" motor, what a joke!!! my 2005 88b motor is stronger and faster than the 96" stock. the dealership explained to me that the 96" is so detuned from factory it was sick, no power, and the 6th gear was useless for power, i had to keep getting back into 5th gear to have anypower, the bike i rode was preowend with 4,000 miles on it. dealership said it would have to have 650.00 worth of pipes, performance chipping, and air breather work done to unleash the true power of the 96" motor,so before you get one get ready to add another easy $1000.00 into it to get the power back out, all in all i was really disappointed with the bike, and it was way to quiet to even call it a harley, most of the people the man says that buy sg, and ultras, before they leave dealership they change pipes, get ride of cats in exhaust , run a 2 into 1 vh pipe and upgrade fuel mapping. today my friend bought a 2010 sg and after he got it down the road , he called me to say he wish he had he's trade in back, 2000 heritage.
i cannot stress enough, test ride before you buy!!!!!!!!!!
my friend did not test ride now he's very upset with his purchase.

i'll hang onto my 05 till something comes out thats worth buying, harley need to have there bike ready for the road instead of detunning them , so we the people have to spend more money hopping them back up.
please no bashing, just my reviews.

Now you know Harley riders very seldom leave anything stock on their new scoots. Handlebars, seats, highway pegs are usually the first thing to go. Not many of us that are lucky enough to buy a new H-D and leave it stock. I think it consider an addiction.

thanks for the replys, my point being, if your upgrading to a newer bike with better performance and etc, is should be a upgrade, not a equal or less ...i have 6 friends that own 2009 and 2010 models, all have done stage 1, due to lack of power, and i can say i road a stock 96" and a 2005 roadking left me on highway. my 05 88b motor with stage one would leave it in mirrors, but your right its not a drag bike, but if your riding 2 up as i do, you need everything its got in situations. comments welcome

I have a friend that just bought a new 2010 ultra classic and at 3000 miles the rear crank bearing was totally blue due to the motor cycle running to lean. Right know he has to replace the crank (thanks for warrenty) I think I stick with my 2006 Herritage with my old carb. Dont seen to have any problem at 40,000 miles.:rider

It all depends on how you like to ride I guess.

My engine is currently stock from air cleaner to exhaust. I've spent my money on comfort and safety items. If I need more power, I perform this radical maneuver called a downshift! Too many folks are afraid to run their bikes above 2500 RPM so they spend thousands increasing the oomph from 2000 to 2500 RPM. Sure, there are situations where I'd love to be cruising in 5th or 6th and just roll on the throttle to fly by someone. For now I'll just keep wearing out my shift lever and downshifting. And yes, I know I'm in the VAST minority having this attitude - JMHO.

I am in total agreement with the Doc on this one. After all, what's the transmission for ? Drop a couple and hit that throttle and then Mister, make sure you've got a grip because that 96 will move you. When I clear the door on the car I shift up and continue on my way. I feel that is the way it is suppose to work ....and it does for me.

I'll match a stock TC96 aginst a TC88 even with some mods anyday.~~~ If that 05 smoked you it was not stock. I have ridden side by side with to many to go along with that.

I totally agree Smitty. I have owned them both, If they were stock for stock, it just aint happening. If the bikes were equal then one of the rider's were likely the difference. :s

lol, i'm 32 and love speed, the older fella was around 55 and he ran the crud out of the used 05 roadking he was on, it was also a used unit that was forsale, i was on a new ultra with 4,000 miles on it, trust me i ran it all it had, just not a lot there to brag about!!! the general manager told me they were weak stock, i'm just used to a hopped up road king i guess, trust me fellows with the twin88 motors, get v&h true duals, big sucker air filter with no back plate, and programmed, you'll run circle around the stock 96: motors, the 6 th gear saved about 400 rpm over my 5 speed, not enought to spend 25,998 on a new ultra. ( but again i know thats not what riding a harley all about, but for some it is) SPEED!!

Back