free website stats program Got to test ride a 2010 ulta classic, my reviews | Harley Davidson Forums

Got to test ride a 2010 ulta classic, my reviews

ron1978

well today at local dealership they let owners ride any 2010 in stock for free no strings attached, i currently own a 2005 road king, with fuel in jected twin88b motor, now with that said, i got on a 2010 ultra with every little thing you could we want on one, first and foremost, i'm 6'2" tall ,the foot fairngs are way to close to my feet when shifting, i felt cramped up on the bike itself, the seat that comes stock on them accomadates about a 5'9" person, i was really setting on the gas tank . The way the bike handle was superb! easy cornering even got the bike up to 94 mph on highway, the general manager was riding a 2004 roadking, i couldn't keep up with him at all, now for the big 96" motor, what a joke!!! my 2005 88b motor is stronger and faster than the 96" stock. the dealership explained to me that the 96" is so detuned from factory it was sick, no power, and the 6th gear was useless for power, i had to keep getting back into 5th gear to have anypower, the bike i rode was preowend with 4,000 miles on it. dealership said it would have to have 650.00 worth of pipes, performance chipping, and air breather work done to unleash the true power of the 96" motor,so before you get one get ready to add another easy $1000.00 into it to get the power back out, all in all i was really disappointed with the bike, and it was way to quiet to even call it a harley, most of the people the man says that buy sg, and ultras, before they leave dealership they change pipes, get ride of cats in exhaust , run a 2 into 1 vh pipe and upgrade fuel mapping. today my friend bought a 2010 sg and after he got it down the road , he called me to say he wish he had he's trade in back, 2000 heritage.
i cannot stress enough, test ride before you buy!!!!!!!!!!
my friend did not test ride now he's very upset with his purchase.

i'll hang onto my 05 till something comes out thats worth buying, harley need to have there bike ready for the road instead of detunning them , so we the people have to spend more money hopping them back up.
please no bashing, just my reviews.

To each his own opinion, and I respect yours. I have to say though, I had a 05 Deluxe, with a stage one as well as a 95" kit. I think the 96" engine runs strong right out of the box. I now have the stage one kit on my 09 Ultra and it runs stronger than stock, but I was impressed with the stock 96" engine. Stock for stock, no way a stock 88 comes close, if it does, something was wrong with the ride you tested. I have walked on more than one 88 stock engine, even with a heavier scooter. Its a matter of cubes, period. I agree in your accessment for size, I am 5'9" and other than reach to the ground, it fits me perfectly. As far as quiet, all new HD are quiet when purchased, including RK or any other scooter. Like I said, all have an opinion and the vast majority are very happy with the new HD's. I have a good friend that just traded his 08 SG for a 10 Ultra, he has no regrets. I love the SG, it would be my second choice. Interesting enough, I rented a RK to ride through the Dragon and was not impressed at all. I guess that is why they make all models, one for everyone. Ride safe and enjoy your scooter.:s

I got a new 2010 Ultra and love it. I will say it is my first Harley. But it rides better than the metric I came off of.

i'll hang onto my 05 till something comes out thats worth buying, harley need to have there bike ready for the road instead of detunning them , so we the people have to spend more money hopping them back up.

Blame it on the EPA, not Harley. Harley has to tune their new bikes to run very lean to meet EPA requirements. So, if you are going to buy a new Harley and want more power, you are going to have to spend the money to do at least a Stage 1 upgrade.

Not bashing you or Harley. That's just how it is.

Blame it on the EPA, not Harley. Harley has to tune their new bikes to run very lean to meet EPA requirements. So, if you are going to buy a new Harley and want more power, you are going to have to spend the money to do at least a Stage 1 upgrade.

Not bashing you or Harley. That's just how it is.

I like most on this forum have been branded with the HD logo. I won't bash the MOCO or the EPA, I will ask why there are many manufacturers that have managed to bring bikes to market with comparable motors that do not need to be upgraded to make them competative with other bikes. No I don't mean racing I'm talking about riding your 103 out the door and not being able to keep up with a V Star. The moco charges us premium $ and then it is almost a forgone conclusion that we are going to spend more $ to unleash the motors potential. I'm not going out and buy something else, I'm happy with my reworked 05 88". I do think the MOCO would bring in more people if their bikes right off the floor were more competative. JMHO

Don

I think the bean counters at the MOCO have it all figured out what the average customer is going to upgrade once they buy the bike. Look at some of the parts that were once chrome when you bought the bike are either deleted now or made of black plastic....oh but that part is available in chrome if you wish to replace the black plastic piece. It's all about the bottom line IMO.

Its not just H-D fella's. Go jump on any metric site, and read what those guys are complaining about. They all feel the need to do a stage one also, to unleash the power. (Been there done that)
For that matter, check out any auto forum. Same thing, IE; change exhaust and intake to "Wake her up"

It all depends on how you like to ride I guess.

My engine is currently stock from air cleaner to exhaust. I've spent my money on comfort and safety items. If I need more power, I perform this radical maneuver called a downshift! Too many folks are afraid to run their bikes above 2500 RPM so they spend thousands increasing the oomph from 2000 to 2500 RPM. Sure, there are situations where I'd love to be cruising in 5th or 6th and just roll on the throttle to fly by someone. For now I'll just keep wearing out my shift lever and downshifting. And yes, I know I'm in the VAST minority having this attitude - JMHO.

Doc I don't know if your in the minority, but your probably a lot more logical than most of us, especilaly thoes of us who own baggers. No way is an 800+lb bike going to to be confused with a drag racer.

Doc I don't know if your in the minority, but your probably a lot more logical than most of us, especilaly thoes of us who own baggers. No way is an 800+lb bike going to to be confused with a drag racer.

That would seem obvious to me also and if you bought a Harley touring bike intending to leave people in your dust at stoplights, I think you bought the wrong bike.

I truly do understand why SOME people need to do a Stage I upgrade - lots of 2 up riding or riding heavily loaded (the bike, not the rider) a lot. High altitude cruising. But what really gets me is how many people I see posting here or talking at the dealership about how they NEED to do a Stage I on their bike. I sometimes get the impression that they really believe their motor will melt out of the frame if they don't add some fuel or their bike will be unrideable in normal traffic without the extra power from the Stage I.

If you want to do a Stage I on your bike, hey, it's your bike and your money. But don't try to justify it to me by saying the bike's a piece of junk off the showroom floor. Someday, I might do one when the house updates are done, kids out of college, etc, etc but for now I love the way my bike rides. Guess I just have low standards.

Back