free website stats program Got the hiccups | Harley Davidson Forums

Got the hiccups

This is my first Harley . i have had a issue with it in the fact that it does a lil sputter. a friend sayed its the harley hiccup? is this the norm? im not sure of the work done to it , but it has Screaming Eagle slip on pipes . and it seams to be running a lil rich from the looks of the carbon in the pipes . is the hiccup a product of it running rich? next thing im adding is a new air filter , so ill need to get the carb jetted right ?

Does it hiccup once it’s warmed up?

My 2003 Sportster is very cold blooded and I even live in Texas so don’t see very cold temps. Don’t be stingy with the choke, actually the bike will pull it in the choke as it sees fit.

is it fuel injected? Fuel injected bikes have a tendancy to "Hiccup" sometimes on warm days. My train will do it every once in a while at redlights on hot days so does my buddies streetbob

Nope ..I run super unleaded fuel and engine is all stock except for stage 1 download a/c and screamin eagle II slip ons . When I say it hiccups it doesn't pop or anything it just doesn't do anything for a second when you roll the throttle on and it only does it once in a while . Almost like a momentary vapor lock. The computer and fuel injection spook me on this thing . It's too high tech for me to be comfortable . I have been around bikes and cars since I was a kid (my dad built race cars) and I have restored a few muscle cars so I know my way around engines but like I said this thing is too high tech for me. WOW I never thought that I would say that a harley was too high tech:D

Nope ..I run super unleaded fuel and engine is all stock except for stage 1 download a/c and screamin eagle II slip ons . When I say it hiccups it doesn't pop or anything it just doesn't do anything for a second when you roll the throttle on and it only does it once in a while . Almost like a momentary vapor lock. The computer and fuel injection spook me on this thing . It's too high tech for me to be comfortable . I have been around bikes and cars since I was a kid (my dad built race cars) and I have restored a few muscle cars so I know my way around engines but like I said this thing is too high tech for me. WOW I never thought that I would say that a harley was too high tech:D

Sounds like it's running lean. Have you looked at the injectors to see which ones you have in there if they are the 8*or the 25* that would make a big difference.If drive ability issues are present the dealers will replace them on the MOCO.

Take a look here Fuel Inj. Calibration Change For 06 (CVO Injectors) - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks Glider I just checked my injectors and I have the 8* injectors That would explain why when I cruise through town the bike surges at low speed. Is the injector change a warranty item or do I have to pay for it? If it's a warranty item why wouldn't the dealer have done it when I got the stace 1 download.

I dont know that much about the bike to be tinkering around. i warm it up like the manual said. ride it for about a mile with choke on then cut it back hafe for another mile . the sputter happens at all temps and it does it when i shift and go to get back on the gas not all the time tho and once in a while when i rap the pipes slowing down. it seems to do it at about 1800 to 2000 rpm range .the only thing i know that has been done to it is a set of SE slip on pipes, im looking for a good tuner to take it to . as i dont feel like i know enough to mess with the carb right now. id like to thank you all for the info you have gave . this sight is a true blessing to alot of ppl and its all because of people like you . thanks

Thanks Glider I just checked my injectors and I have the 8* injectors That would explain why when I cruise through town the bike surges at low speed. Is the injector change a warranty item or do I have to pay for it? If it's a warranty item why wouldn't the dealer have done it when I got the stace 1 download.

Most dealers don't do any more than they have to. The replacement is covered under warranty as long as you tell them it is surging at low speeds , difficult to drive and is difficult to start when the motor is cold. These are the key factors in determining the replacement.
If your dealer will not replace them for you , go to a different dealer or contact the MOCO customer service.
To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer service representative call (414) 343-4056.

I dont know that much about the bike to be tinkering around. i warm it up like the manual said. ride it for about a mile with choke on then cut it back hafe for another mile . the sputter happens at all temps and it does it when i shift and go to get back on the gas not all the time tho and once in a while when i rap the pipes slowing down. it seems to do it at about 1800 to 2000 rpm range .the only thing i know that has been done to it is a set of SE slip on pipes, im looking for a good tuner to take it to . as i dont feel like i know enough to mess with the carb right now. id like to thank you all for the info you have gave . this sight is a true blessing to alot of ppl and its all because of people like you . thanks

I'm glad you got some useful info here on the site.
The carb really isn't that hard to work on,it just looks scary. There's a lot of info on jetting a carb along with pics in this forum if you want to give it a try.
Fuel and Carb Related Issues - Harley Davidson Community

Back