free website stats program Got the codes off the bike, battery drain while running... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Got the codes off the bike, battery drain while running...

How often are the CB part of the problem? Could the malfunction or are they either good or bad?

That all depends on how you view "bad". Anytime I can measure a 1/4 volt worth of drop across a switch in a 12 volt circuit I consider it a problem that needs attention. In all fairness to HD I have not worked on their bikes that have CB's in them. But I have worked for years around those same CB's installed in all sorts of equipment and I can tell you from experience, I would replace them with Maxi fuses. Some brands of CB's are better than others but even the best brands do have problems. The worst of the worst are "Short Stops". I can say with 100% confidence, even when New.....replace them.. .

Mind you on some circuits the problems with even the good brands can go un-noticed. An example would be in a headlight circuit. You probably would not notice a 1/2 volt of drop in your headlight circuit. But think about your charging circuit. If you were to read the voltage across your battery while the engine was going 1500 RPM and it read 12.6 vols, you would say the charging system was not working. But if you were to read 14.6 volts, you would say your almost overcharging. Well then if the difference between Not charging and overcharging is only 2 volts, 1/4 to 1/2 volt of lose means a heck of a lot.

I think I would pay close attention to Hoople, Im thinking of re naming him Mr Electricity, Dont know where he gets all this knowledge, but I cant keep up with him and Im pretty good at trouble shooting electrical, Good Job Hoople, Jack

Tks Jack.
I'm usually great with helping others but with my OWN problems I usually first panic, then the mind goes blank and if I pick up a wrench my hand starts shaking and I start wondering if I should bring it to someone who knows what the heck their doing!!!!:p

Tks Jack.
I'm usually great with helping others but with my OWN problems I usually first panic, then the mind goes blank and if I pick up a wrench my hand starts shaking and I start wondering if I should bring it to someone who knows what the heck their doing!!!!:p

And those are bad traits, Lol, I think you got it together and am looking forwars to a good chat at Biketoberfest, Keep on wrenching and Ill keep on reading your posts I learn a little each time, Jack

Back