free website stats program Got my bike Friday!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Got my bike Friday!!!

danerada

So I got my bike Friday. She was in the shop getting a bunch of work done. When I bought her a couple of weeks ago she hadn't moved in two years. So, the brakes were seized up (that required a rebuild of the front and rear calipers and a new master cylinder), the rocker gaskets needed replacing, all the fluids needed changing, a new battery, carb was rebuilt, gas tank cleaned out, a new fuel line...

Anyway - get her out on the road Saturday. Drove to Ocean City MD and stopped for lunch at Hoopers for all-u-can eat crabs, then through Seaford DE and back home again...around 250 miles.

She was great! I loved every second of it. However, I noticed a small oil leak so back to the shop she goes (because I don't know how to work on her yet)...but not just yet :)

I am not overly concerned about it. I will ride it until the guy has time to work on it. He has also agreed to let me help him work on it. Pretty good of a guy who runs his own shop for a living...

Sounds like a nice first ride, and you can't beat a shop that will let you look over their shoulder and ask questions. Before you spend to much on the tutoring you might want to check out the self help section here on the forum. You would be surprised what you can do yourself with a little help and a manual. You do have a manual don't you!!

I do not have a manual yet....I am going to buy one, I just keep forgetting.

First "upgrade" you need to make! If you are gonna do your own work, it is a must. If you are gonna have someone else do the work, it is a good idea to have a manual so you know what is supposed to be done. Cuts down on the "flim-flam"!

TQ

Congratulations on the new bike! :) Sounds like a great weekend of riding.

When we have done work on our bikes, we've notices that the "small oil leaks" afterwards were simply leftover oil drops from the work that was done. :) Hopefully that's all that yours is!

First "upgrade" you need to make! If you are gonna do your own work, it is a must. If you are gonna have someone else do the work, it is a good idea to have a manual so you know what is supposed to be done. Cuts down on the "flim-flam"!

TQ

- Yeah I definitely want to start doing my own work!!!

Congratulations on the new bike! :) Sounds like a great weekend of riding.

When we have done work on our bikes, we've notices that the "small oil leaks" afterwards were simply leftover oil drops from the work that was done. :) Hopefully that's all that yours is!

- I don't know if that is it or not. I was told that it may have been because I didn't let the bike warm up enough before I started to ride. I don't know. What I do know is that it was dripping onto my oil filter from the front of the motor.

TQ
I feel kind of dumb for owning my bike for a year without a manual, BUT This site has so far covered me..........Word

Congrats on the scoot - post some pics so we can get a visual. Oil leak's can be frustrating, but I'm sure yours is probably from sitting idle for a bit. Not to worry - just throw down an oil pad until it gets fixed & keep on rid'n. Cheers!

Back