free website stats program got an h and a v rated tire?!?!?!? | Harley Davidson Forums

got an h and a v rated tire?!?!?!?

whacko

Looked at my new michelin commander 2s that I got from motorcyclesuperstore.com and notice the front is h rated for 136mph and the back is v rated for 149........can you mix and match v and h rated tires? Also does a v necessarily last longer than an h rated tire? I certainly don't ever plan on going ANYWHERE near 136mph......should I be concerned with this or just get em mounted and not worry?

The speed ratings are fine. Your front tire is just a little bit harder compound then the rear.The higher the speed rating the softer the compound.You will experience more wear with a higher speed rated tire.

I agree with Steve07, the v rated will wear faster thatn an h rated tire as it is a softer compound. I did some testing a few years ago with v rated tires on a softail.

Probably not make a difference on a street bike. The only place where higher speed rating comes into play really is if you do a lot of freeway "spirited" or racetrack riding speeds. The "V" rated one will handle the heat better and consistantly up to the skid point with the bike heeled over if you push above 8/10's riding level...crucial on a sportbike when you really need neutral steering at high speed.

Most don't ride that way...and an HD will not achieve that level 'cept maybe some V-Rod or Buell models tricked out hopefully with rider skill to match. Notice the V-Rod and Buell models also have radial tire sizes that have V-rated models readily available if you really choose to use them.

Back