free website stats program Got a gift today. | Harley Davidson Forums

Got a gift today.

robermv32

My riding buddy and I were at breakfast today and I mentioned that I was considering the purchase of a motorcycle jack to facilitate my service duties. He said,"Don't go buying anything soon." Just then another friend stopped at our table and our conversations wavered away from the jack. Without giving it another thought we went our separate ways and I returned home.

An hour or so later, here he comes in my driveway with a Larin 1500 lb. Motorcycle, ATV jack. Complete and functional. I asked him how much he wanted for it and he said he'd had it for awhile and only used it once. He didn't like it because he almost dropped his bike while using it. His driveway is on a slight incline. So he said, it's mine. I raised my Street glide up about 12 inches and it stayed there without leaking for 30 minutes.

Having never used a jack on a bike before I was wondering if it is better to slide it under one side or the other when changing engine oil etc.

Well I always leave the Jiffy stand down when the bike is on the jack, just in case. So I always put the jack under the bike opposite the jiffy stand.

I've always found that it works easier from the right side of the bike. Does you new gift have a way to lock it in so that even if it leaks down it can't go past the safety lock? Congrats on the jack and having a good friend. Pay it forward!!!

Look at your Jack carefully there should be a safety bar that fits into a recessed area so if the hydrolics do leak down the safety won't let it go all the way down... That's a good Friend !!

Sorry Don... You're a faster typer

Look at your Jack carefully there should be a safety bar that fits into a recessed area so if the hydrolics do leak down the safety won't let it go all the way down... That's a good Friend !!

Sorry Don... You're a faster typer

Yes, there is a safety bar. As far as knowing he's a good friend, well that's a given. We've been friends for 20 years. Thanks for the input. Now, I just have to get used to seeing my baby off the ground. ( that will take some getting used to )

I have a J&S jack and leave my bike on it all the time, it gives me a little more room in my already crowded garage. I do however, let the pressure off the jack on to the mechanical safety stops. Going on 2 years now without a problem. It sure is nice to have friends like that.

I have a Pit Bull jack which I think is the best one made for a Harley. Over the winter I keep the bike on the jack with it up as high as it will go on the safety latch. You would have to work at it to make it fall off. Alway use the safety latch. Check to make sure all the bolts on any bike jack are grade 8. The cheaper jacks use cheap bolts and they will shear off and drop your bike.

Nice friend you have there - jacks aren't cheap. Always rais bike from "high" side (Right) and keep jiffy stand down & locked (I use small bungee). Definitely makes wrenching & cleaning easier.

Having never used a jack on a bike before I was wondering if it is better to slide it under one side or the other when changing engine oil etc.

A very cool friend indeed. I know it has not been mentioned but did he give you the tie down straps?? If not be sure to get some good ones and use them all the time.

Back