Good ole cable ties

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by cedarbrook63, Aug 8, 2010.

1. cedarbrook63

cedarbrook63 Junior Member

Parked my Sporty in broad day light yesterday outside a DIY store.

Came out to see that someone had tried to take my detachable windshield!!:newsmile055::newsmile055:

They had failed because I had some cable ties running though the frame of the windshield and then around the forks. If they had a good knife or wire cutter it would have been easy work but the ties served to make it not worth their while to start getting obvious.

Any one else have a means of securing their detachable windshield against the light fingered??

2. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Those plastic ties work wonders - carry some in every vehicle. Sorry to see someone tried to "five finger" your w/s - can you drill a few small holes & thread a gun lock through??? Might be primitive, but effective...good luck!

3. ultradoc

ultradoc Active Member

glad they didn't get away with anything. The cable ties are handy and I should carry some.

4. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

I dont leave home without them

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

A must have in any good tool kit.:D

7. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Cedarbrook, a small aircraft cable lock like those used for bicycles is really all you can do. Your zip tie method is sufficient in this instance, probably if they saw the cable & lock they would not have attempted in the first place. Don't know if other would be thieves were more observant, saw the zip ties and left your bike unmolested. I keep 4 zip ties in my tool roll...probably should have more LOL!:D

8. fisherman124

fisherman124 Active Member

my zip ties helped friend on an once while riding ,had them by accident , threw them in saddle bag rather than going back in side , carry the mall the time now never thought bout the shield good idea there DONT FORGET DUCT TAPE LOL

9. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

So if i fancy a free detachable windshield for my sporty just have to make sure i have my side cutting pliers with me :p

Brian

10. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

I've never even thought about anyone trying to steal my windshield. I must be too trusting.