free website stats program good info HD 6 speed | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

good info HD 6 speed

I change my oil in all three holes between 3k to 4k. (I think that's about every 2-2.5thousand miles. 5000 mile equals 8000k) I do it about half way between scheduled services.

I'm not going to buy into the harsh treatment vs looking after bikes. To each his own. The bottom line in this is that there are some failing when they should not be. Therefore, a fundamental question should be asked.

What are the common factors in these failures? Cause and effect... There have been enough responses to indicate that we can see the effect but what came before?

It would be worth setting up a spreadsheet that everyone can update when somthing fails eg:
Problem - Motor, gearbox or primary
Symptoms - noise or rattle
Bike model - Touring or Dyna or Sportie
Year
Mileage
Oils used
Frequency of changes
etc etc

Collation of information is the secret to getting a recall or extended warranty happening IMHO

just my 2c worth.

Cheers

Neil

I change my oil in all three holes between 3k to 4k. (I think that's about every 2-2.5thousand miles. 5000 mile equals 8000k) I do it about half way between scheduled services.

I'm not going to buy into the harsh treatment vs looking after bikes. To each his own. The bottom line in this is that there are some failing when they should not be. Therefore, a fundamental question should be asked.

What are the common factors in these failures? Cause and effect... There have been enough responses to indicate that we can see the effect but what came before?

It would be worth setting up a spreadsheet that everyone can update when somthing fails eg:
Problem - Motor, gearbox or primary
Symptoms - noise or rattle
Bike model - Touring or Dyna or Sportie
Year
Mileage
Oils used
Frequency of changes
etc etc

Collation of information is the secret to getting a recall or extended warranty happening IMHO

just my 2c worth.

Cheers

Neil

I see your point, and I know I would be upset if my (insert part name) failed before I thought it should. But there is not one thing made by humans that does not fail. I would investigate issues, most certainly. But I don't think it is realistic to think that ANY manufacturer is going to have a perfect record. Even it it is perfectly designed, it still has to be assembled by someone, and they make mistakes and have bad days just like me. If HD is so terrible, they will be out of business. I personally see too many HD's on the road, every day on my commute to work, too many at the HOG chapter, too many at the bar, too many around on the weekends, that are running fine. And while I speak to the a small cross section of the riders I see, I estimate I have at least talked to no less than 150 touring model riders about fluids, heat, fuel mileage, and the transmisson. And that doesn't count the info on this board. Thanks again to the moderators and members on this board. I think back to when I first joined. If I would have read this post when I first bought my UC, I would have been in a panic and second guessing. When I see HD's on the side of the road, broke down, I'll stop, help and ask what is wong. So far, in 3 years, I have only had to stop for a Yamaha and a BMW.

(...now watch, I jinxed myself and my tranny will grenade on may way home today:p)

Back