free website stats program good info HD 6 speed | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

good info HD 6 speed

33,000 0n m 08 and no problems yet !! I use Mobil 1 75-90 gear lube & there is nothing on the magnet yet . Maybe the people that own the bike just dont do the correct maintanence .

Glad to hear things are going well for your bike. "Maybe the people that own the bike just don't do the correct maintanence." Maybe but definitely not in my (our)case. Engine, primary and tranny every 5000 miles with Motul 7100 synthetic and Motul 300 75/90. At 43,000 with Baker install Spectro in tranny. Unlike Jackson, MI (by the way where Mz Bling and I are from " Brooklyn and Vandercook Lake " and moved to concur Hollywood in 1980 :) ) we can ride in Southern Cal year round and there is plenty of city driving. Maybe this has something to do with it considering the constant starting and stopping. Believe me, we baby these machines. We never had it growing up and more than appreciate the blessing of these 2 kids. (Street Glide and Sporty)

Good information on HD 6 speeds

First of all if your bike is still under warranty this is good thing. “So before your warranty expires” I stress that u take your transmission inspect cover off, one must remove exhaust and muffler on right side, then remove transmission inspect cover (6 Allen head bolts). Once u have done that and if u can’t, it’s about hour labor charge at your dealer (well spent 100.00 dollars). Look in the bottom inside of trans inspect cover for grey slugs and metal particles in this area. Appearance of this, then your transmission needs complete rebuild, all bearings, seals, gaskets need replacement. Inspecting at your oil plug magnet on regular services will not tell u anything, trust me on that one. Now (06 to10 models) any oil leaking from primary or growling sound from primary area is good sign you need to investigate. This grey slug and metal u will see on inspect side got there, because the swirl of the oil throws the entire particles to the inspect cover side. “Maybe this good thing”, that’s where it pools up and stays; these metal particles are caused by failure of mainshaft bearing which is a two piece roller bearing. HD # 8967, which is a FAG bearing # 559796. This two piece bearing has three races, two sets of roller bearings. Good inspection of this bearing once transmission is torn down ( 8 hours labor charge or more) u will see on “front wheel side” of the mainshaft bearing largest inner race is galled in this area only, back side of same race looks normal.. This tends to make me believe that there are added forces to this front area of mainshaft bearing. ( Why?) The other two races of this mainshaft bearing are galled completely around both races. I have now rebuilt three HD 6 speeds, One Dyna and two FLH’S. same story for each identically, only different is mileages. Mostly from my experience 15000 miles to 28000 miles trouble starts with this mainshaft bearing. Tomorrow I start my fourth transmission tear down on customer’s transmission. Now little word about your inner primary bearing and clutch hub bearing. Inspect yourself; remove primary cover and two bolts and chain tensioner, then slide out drive sprocket with chain and clutch hub to inspect. Here is heads up on these bearings. Failure of inner primary and clutch hub bearings is caused by your clutch hub splines cracking off. Inspect clutch hub splines to see if chucks are missing inside. These chunks go right into both bearings in time. It’s not the mainshaft splines; it’s the clutch hub splines. So inspect carefully. Failure of both mainshaft bearing and inner primary bearing can occur at anywhere from 15000 mile to 45.000 miles. At this top mileage mentioned, I would most definitely inspect and hope u still under warranty, just remember HD service bulletins and warranties are in house. Its HD’S best kept secret to not having recalls or really letting public information out. Opinion, HD 6 speeds (06 to10 models) are troubled until HD provides updates. I have phoned Baker transmission and they use same bearings and “possibly considering” making redesign on this bearing. But don’t hold your breath. Once U are off HD warranty, there is no update by HD as of yet to transmission problem. So new HD bearings are same old ones pron to failure cause by????. ( Bummer) HD knows there is problem and as usual put hands in the air. Normal for HD. So use that warranty well. Last but least,” run dinosaur oil” in primary and trany. The engine, run what u like for type of oil. Try this, when at traffic stop light and your in neutral, pull in clutch when u see amber light. This give time to slow down motion and u get less chunk in gear. Personally, this saves on splines of clutch hub or first start ups pull in clutch early. Before engaging trans... 4 all who doubt, inspection says all. Catch early save money, nothing wrong with that.

This guy posted the same post on HD Forums, first post on both forums. He makes all this sound like some impending diasaster, just poised to strike the unsuspecting Harley owner.
Not saying there might not be "some" issues, just not to the degree the post has you believe.
How many people do you know this has happened to?
Just my $ .02

This guy posted the same post on HD Forums, first post on both forums. He makes all this sound like some impending diasaster, just poised to strike the unsuspecting Harley owner.
Not saying there might not be "some" issues, just not to the degree the post has you believe.
How many people do you know this has happened to?
Just my $ .02

Is it not ironic that someone joins forum, makes first post, makes a very indepth post regarding impending disaster as if all the bikes will experience this problem. Only after discussion takes place you do not here from the author again. Then find out there are similar posts on other forums.
Makes you think about motive and validity behind post.

Is it not ironic that someone joins forum, makes first post, makes a very indepth post regarding impending disaster as if all the bikes will experience this problem. Only after discussion takes place you do not here from the author again. Then find out there are similar posts on other forums.
Makes you think about motive and validity behind post.

Come on now...we've seen these kind of threads started before. Funny how it's his first and only post isn't it?

Not saying there cant be some issues but this is a classic tactic used many many times before.

Craig, the Baker DD7 may use the same bearing, but probably does not have a tendency to "chunk" splines, so I don't think you will have the same problem.

As for the validity, nothing wrong with using good inspection techniques and certainly at 25-30k miles that primary cover should be moved out of the way and things inspected real close anyway...ask WildSpirit about runout, or Bud about Cam Shoe Tensioners or other when in that mileage. I use my bike as a daily driver, and seem to be averaging about 8-10K so a good inspection every 3 years in that tranny case is probably a good idea. JMO, but how much are gaskets, o-rings and lube during one of your "normal" tranny/primary changes is "cheap" considering the alternative...ESPECIALLY if you do not have Extended Warranty for your piece of mind?

Back