free website stats program Going to be my first ride in the rain-Advice? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Going to be my first ride in the rain-Advice?

Slow down
leave more space in front of you which also helps prevent as much spray from the vehicle in front
watch for the main tire tracks area of the road slightly compressed as it can puddle causing hydroplaning
brake slower than usual, keeping the bike upright when braking
always watch the rear when braking as you can stop faster than a cage and be ready to move away of the rear vehicle looks like it will hit you
don't keep lifting your eyewear as the lenses will smear from your oily face and possibly fog up
once wet you get cold and remember your hands and feet won't respond as quick on the leavers
try to avoid puddles as you don't know how deep they are
if possible in severe rain, pull under a bridge or off the road to a sidestreet when safe to do so and wait it out.
if foggy, don't just pull off the raod portion as you don't know who's coming up behind you also on the shoulder and they won't see your smaller vehicle.
Always ride defence.

In a pinch an inverted clean plastic bag can work, just make holes for head and arms to pass thru. If you hit a real cold area in a pinch you can use a newspaper or magazine to put under your jacket for another layer of warmth. Experience and advice will help you select the right gear for inclement riding...:small3d014:

Ride using more rear brake and learn to squeeze the front brake, not grab it. I also "hook" my fingers around the bar grips to make it less of a "white knuckle" experience. Extend following distance and use gloves as a leather chamois as necessary (the back cylinder helps to keep your left wet glove dryer and warm as well). Make sure all movements are deliberate and steady...watch for bridges that have long spans of grating, that was my only "sledding" experience on my bike.:swoon

It's best not to ride right after it starts raining wait for the oil in the highway to get washed off and try not to ride in the middle of the lane, and no sudden movements.

Intersections and toll plazas seem to be the worst areas for oil .....Ride Safe.
Better yet , leave your bike at work and catch a ride with a co-worker.

I agree with roadking. Don't ride when it first start raining, very slick. The biggest thing is to keep a lot more distance. Our bikes usually stop quicker then a car when its dry. When it rains you can't count on it stopping.

I agree,very good advice.

Back