free website stats program Going to attempt 10K service myself - help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Going to attempt 10K service myself - help

Thanks all! I have the Mobil 1 V-Twin (4 quarts), Redline Heavy for the trans, Redline Primary for there...a filter from HD, and am going to stop by the dealer tonight to see if they have a gasket kit or if I have to get them all seperately. The o rings and primary cover gasket...

Standard garage stuff, oil pan, torx bits, sockets, allen wrenches, torque wrench, rags. Service manual on its way.

What am I forgetting?

The test Ride, the most important part:s

Speaking of drain plugs.

Be very careful in tightning the plugs. Many threads here about stripped plugs.

I found the previous owner of my bike had almost stripped out the oil drain plug.

It doesn't take much to strip it out.

Ron

Speaking of drain plugs.

Be very careful in tightning the plugs. Many threads here about stripped plugs.

I found the previous owner of my bike had almost stripped out the oil drain plug.

It doesn't take much to strip it out.

Ron

Makes a decent torque wrench well worth the $. Good point.
Ishmael

As a newbie attempting this service for the first time, I would suggest doing one oil change at a time. Be successful with that one and then move on to the next fluid change on another day. Take it slow. Less stress this way.

...and be very careful (you shouldn't at all,my opinion) when refreshing ones self while riding.
Ride Safe Everybody!!!
wilks3
:USA

I'm doing mine in parts. I did the fluids in two days for all 3 holes.

Monday after work. Dumped the fluids.
Tuesday add the fluids and oil filter

This Saturday

Clean and inspect the brake pads and calipers.
Adjust the clutch

And Sunday

Grease the head steering bearing
Clean the air filter
Everything else on the checkoff list, most of which I believe is doing inspections of wear and tear.

It is really too much for me to get done in 1 weekend since some of it has to be done on a cold engine.

As a newbie attempting this service for the first time, I would suggest doing one oil change at a time. Be successful with that one and then move on to the next fluid change on another day. Take it slow. Less stress this way.

Even if not a newbie this is how I change my oils. I like doing them one at a time and then riding it to see if there are any noticeable differences.

Back