free website stats program Going from 5speed to 6speed | Harley Davidson Forums

Going from 5speed to 6speed

spincycle

New to the forum, I have a 05 softail deluxe that has the 5 speed, and I wanted to move up to the 6 speed cause I put a lot of higway miles on my bike for my job. My buddy has a wrecked 2007 standard softail that he said he'll let me have the transmission, which is a 6 speed, for $500. I was wondering if i could just have my old 5 speed dropped and out and the "new" 6 speed bolted in. I've had a few peole tell me "No" and a few say "yes" does anybody know. The guy at my local HD shop said it could and that it was a great price cause a brand new one would cost like 3K.

Can't speak to if it will fit or not.....but you will like the 6 speed if you are on the hard slab alot. My dyna just purrs along doing 75 - 80 mph!!!!

Welcome to The Forum, The 6 speed cases are not the same, however the gear set may work with modifications to your case

A little more info: My buuddy also offered to sell me the 96ci engine outta the bike also.
His son "borrowed" the bike one day while he was at work and wrecked it, kid lived but was in the hospital for a couple weeks from surgery and stuff, bike was totaled. Insurance said they wouldnt pay off on the bike unless he filed charges since his son didnt have a drivers license, no "insurance" and no permission to use the bike. Of course he didnt so. Now his ol lady is up his butt about getting rid of it since he bought a new one. My friend insist that his motor and engine will fit right in mine, both are "B" engines. So i might go that route since i have a 88ci with the 5 speed. If that'll work,

A little more info: My buuddy also offered to sell me the 96ci engine outta the bike also.
His son "borrowed" the bike one day while he was at work and wrecked it, kid lived but was in the hospital for a couple weeks from surgery and stuff, bike was totaled. Insurance said they wouldnt pay off on the bike unless he filed charges since his son didnt have a drivers license, no "insurance" and no permission to use the bike. Of course he didnt so. Now his ol lady is up his butt about getting rid of it since he bought a new one. My friend insist that his motor and engine will fit right in mine, both are "B" engines. So i might go that route since i have a 88ci with the 5 speed. If that'll work,

HMMMM, that should work as long as all the sensors are compatible with your harness Go for it you will like that taller gear

I have the 6 in my 05 heritage. Also have the 95 big bore stage 2. I would not recomend the 6 unless you upgrade to 95 stage 2. Sixth gear feels sluggish at 70, but real good at 80.

The 96 with trans would be the best way to go IMO. If it fits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back