free website stats program Glue for metal | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Glue for metal

I tend to use Araldite it does take a wee while to cure 24 hrs but cures faster when warmer as most of the glues for sticking metal to metal are 2 part epoxy then most of those should do simple sticking metal to metal but not in an area where any load is applied

Brian

Another vote for JB Weld as long as it's not something visible or critical on the bike.

I have used Liquid nails Industrial to repair in no load situation

There are 3 companies producing metal bonding products for the autobody industry that Ive used.SEM,Lord fusor and 3m.At our shop we are currently using the SEM line.All are very strong.We actualy performed a rip test with the SEM vs. a welded tab..The weld failed first.

Great deal on SEM Paints 39537 at ToolTopia.com

They are all 2 part products that require a special caulking gun for application.While the products themselves are reasonably priced,the caulking guns required are rediculously overpriced.

As someone mentioned, its high heat that will cause these products to fail.In the nieghborhood of 800degrees.So wouldnt recomend using them around the engine.As with any glue application is crytical.If you dont grind both sides of the metal,it will fail.

duct tape

:newsmile100:
...and it comes in different colors, you could match you paint!

I've used JB Weld in a pinch on non critical parts. Trick is to clean the surfaces with alcohol or something similar before applying and letting it cure 24hrs. A part I've "glued" is holding together 2yrs later...your mileage may vary.

First off Dogdad what are you trying to repair?

I am wanting to seal/glue the stainless bolts inside the tube where I have cut the sissy/passenger bar. It's where you see the round head.

Attachments

• P5090654.jpg
    P5090654.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 19
  • P5090655.jpg
    P5090655.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 14
  • P5090656.jpg
    P5090656.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 18
For what youre doing glue will not work.A couple of stitches with a MIG should work well.After that,treat the effected area and touch it up.

If that piece is chrome youll have to rechrome it.Bottom line is, theres right and then theres hacked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back